Wednesday, November 16, 2005

SUGAR IS SWEET, THEREFORE, NICE


I’m a sugar addict. There, I said it.

As far back as I can remember, at any banquet or restaurant that offers eat-all-you-can buffet specials, I’m more attracted to the colorful sweets and desserts on the buffet table than to the array of delectable dishes.

I’ve undergone various vitamin therapy and nutritional regimens under medical supervision, but without any lasting success; I still have intense craving for sugar. Even though the regular tests performed by my doctor proved I’m not diabetic, I’ve had my share of sugar-related complaints through the years.

Despite all information now available online that outlines the ill-effects of sugar, as well as scientific explanations of the processes it goes through once ingested, eliminating one’s craving for sucrose or table sugar seems an almost impossible feat.

The only good thing about sugar is that it tastes good. And that is why it’s added to almost everything we eat these days — to make them taste better. The fact that sugar is highly addictive does not prevent our food industry from adding it to many of its processed food products. Actually, as long as the packaging label includes sucrose under the list of ingredients, the government gives manufacturers its seal of approval.

The lack of public pressure to acknowledge the adverse effects of sugar makes it even more difficult to lick one’s addiction to it. Worse, sugar has been accepted as a natural fact of life even to a wider extent compared to alcohol and cigarettes. Through our pop culture, sugar has been embedded in our psyche as being sweet; therefore, nice. This explains why in certain social circles, to call attention to one’s dependency on sugar is akin to being cute or downright silly.

But here’s the scary part, according to Licking Sugar Addiction by Elizabeth Bohorquez, “Sugar is well known as the underlying addiction to all addictions, and can be seen hiding under alcoholism, caffeine, nicotine and drug addictions of all varieties from recreational to over-the-counter, as well as prescription medications.”

I am cognizant of the almost superhuman efforts required to defeat an addiction; that oftentimes, spiritual introspection is needed as well. After all, addiction is a soul thing. Thus, I have decided to dedicate my Wednesday postings on this particular journey.

By having publicly admitted it, as they say, half the battle is already won. It demonstrates I’m past the denial and anger stages, and now ready for the healing process to begin. Lately, I’ve been thinking that since my New York physician was unable to help, I wonder if perhaps, as an alternative option, a local spiritual healer might be able to do the job. My aunt had arranged an appointment for me to meet with one this weekend. I’ll write about that experience and post it next Wednesday.

Until then, may peace light your path.


Links

A Real Sugar High
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20030124-000002.xml

Sugar Addiction FAQ

http://www.sugar-addiction.com/sugar_addiction_archives.htm

Licking Sugar Addiction by Elizabeth Bohorquez
http://www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=bohorquez&id=1

Sugar Addict Anonymous
http://www.aksworld.com/FreeReports/sugar-addiction.htm



Labels:

posted by Señor Enrique at 6:41 AM


2 Comments:

Blogger bing said...

and you are a diabetic maybe?

maybe a spiritual healer could help because your enemy is simply YOURSELF.

hi, senor enrique! had fun bloghopping.. but i'm afraid my blogging time will be infrequent. too many things to do but so little time.

be well...

November 18, 2005 11:18 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Bing!

No, thank God, but as mentioned, I've had my sugar-related complaints.

Yes, it's an inner battle; a soul thing.

I guess, especially with the upcoming holidays, it will only get more hectic for all. I'll keep stopping by your site anyway just to take a peek.

Thanks!

November 19, 2005 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.