Tuesday, August 08, 2006

IDOLMANIA PHILIPPINE STYLE

This Tuesday, Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson are once again hitting the road in search for a new batch of contenders between the ages of 16 to 28 for the sixth season of American Idol. The tryouts start at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, followed by dates in Texas, New Jersey, Alabama, Tennessee, Minnesota and Washington.

Over here in the tropics, the first season of Philippine Idol was launched on Sunday, July 30th. The host is Ryan Agoncillo while the judges are Ryan Cayabyab, Pilita Corales and Francis Magalona. The franchise was awarded to Associated Broadcasting Company (ABC), which also broadcasts American Idol and World Idol in the Philippines.

I wonder if the Philippine Idol will remain true to the original premise of its American counterpart; that is, its winner to be ultimately chosen by the public. You see, existing singing contests produced by local major networks, despite their solicitation of public votes through cellphone texting, the final winner remains to be the sole discretion of the network executives. Hence, SMS votes are merely to create another revenue stream for the networks.


Side note:

When I snapped this picture of giant banners hanging on the façade of SM San Lazaro mall, I was approached by one of its guards and asked why I was taking pictures of their edifice. I knew this was coming because a particular forum in PinoyPhotography discussed certain legal issues when photographing private properties. One member had pointed out that SM does not particularly appreciate anyone taking pictures of their property, but would allow foreign tourists to freely do so. So I told him the truth: I wanted to write about our local version of American Idol and share it with friends living abroad; that a picture of their banner would be perfect to go along with my missive. Moreover, I would have asked for permission first but the only SM guard around was busily directing traffic at the pedestrian crossing over at Tayuman. He accepted my explanation. Lesson learned here is always request for permission first.


Labels: ,

posted by Señor Enrique at 11:06 PM


15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Francis M... I would watch this show just for him.

Too bad I don't have a TV... and, oops - I live in Boston.

August 09, 2006 1:30 AM  

Blogger ipanema said...

I knew about this through a Phil. radio I listen online. I don't have access to this TV station though we have cable here. Those with satellite dishes could.


With the singing talents of the Filipinos, this will look like a battle of stars. I would like to see new talents up there. Quite interestingly, when I checked my son's list of songs in his computer, I thought I was listening to foreign talents until they sang in Tagalog. I was impressed with these new singers. They're good and I'm quite proud of it. My son told me that his Filipino friends introduced him to Tagalog songs.


With the panel of judges, I know they can spot talents easily. From my knowledge, there's no one in the group with an ascerbic tongue like Simon Cowell. I think contestants will be safe and not to take heart when comments are given. :)

August 09, 2006 5:02 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

And you, Aurea, remind me of some aunts who used to swoon over Francis' dad, Pancho the movie matinee idol. I remember his dad; quite a dashing man in those days.

August 09, 2006 6:02 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Our local talent, Ipanema, is amazing.

I'm getting to know more of them as I continue living in Manila. In fact, you ought to check out Major Tom's "Bands on the Run" entry wherein I commented that our inherent talent in music and dance make us the Afro-Americans of Asia -- and I mean that with utmost compliment and respect.

As for Simon, besides his "ascerbic tongue," he's the only one who consistently provides those with inchoate talent with truthful assessments. And yes, he could at least exercise a bit more tact.

August 09, 2006 6:14 AM  

Blogger Senorito<- Ako said...

You should've told him that your a kris lawrence fan ! :) harharhar..

August 09, 2006 6:38 AM  

Blogger houseband00 said...

Hi Eric,

My family is composed of serious (not anal) AI fans. When we watched the first PI episode, we found ourselves being a bit too critical with the production. We felt that they should have gotten better judges (with the exception of the excellent Mr. C, of course). We even found the emcee was devoid of wit and spontinaeity.

I really must apologize for the diss; we just couldn't help but compare. All I'm saying is that there is still room for improvement.

However, the show is really about the contestants, right?

August 09, 2006 6:59 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

LOL!

I tried cropping out that other banner, A.K., but the result wasn't appealing.

And you had to notice it, right? Hehehe.

August 09, 2006 7:09 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

No need to apologize, Houseband. Only right that we expect our local producers to deliver outstanding shows which they are capable of (most of them were schooled in the US anyway).

Case in point: When I saw Andrea Boccelli's concert performance here at Araneta Coliseum, I was awe-struck, not only by this great tenor, but the entire group of people behind that show -- from our local symphony orchestra to technical acoustic engineers and so on and so forth.

They were all was superb. Brilliant. They made that evening truly special.

As for those elites/celebrities that crowded the choice seats of the coliseum that evening? Forget about it. They hardly mattered to the success of the concert.

I must've have spent the ensuing days emailing all my friends; raving about our local people's excellence in their respective craft. They were that good!

I haven't watched Phillipine Idol, yet, because of the TV room, but that's another story with the "paranormal tag" attached to it :)

August 09, 2006 7:32 AM  

Blogger ipanema said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 09, 2006 11:31 AM  

Blogger ipanema said...

I agree with you Eric. It's only Simon who really tells the truth about a contestant's performance honestly. That's why it cuts like a knife.

August 09, 2006 11:34 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

And quite spontaneous, too, Ipanema. Unlike Randy's and Paula's which seemed redundant and scripted. Nonetheless, as a group, their interactions with each other and with the contestants are quite entertaining.

August 09, 2006 2:36 PM  

Blogger Senorito<- Ako said...

Goes to tell you that other cultures don't sugar coat words.

August 10, 2006 5:07 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Well, at least, in this field swarming with wannabees, S.A., somebody has to do the dirty job of jarring them back to reality.

I apologize in my reply to your other previous comment (on same entry) about Kris Lawrence. Instead of using your initials S.A. for Senorito Ako, I had inadvertently put down, A.K.

August 10, 2006 6:33 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What! No Simon Cowell counterpart. Well, I hope that at least the judges will be honest with the contestants if they really don't think these singer wannabes have the talents.

I would think that a mall is a public property. I also don't take pictures of private properties. Mahirap na.

August 10, 2006 9:24 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Apparently, Niceheart, SM thinks of its properties as private. And we're simply talking about facades here.

From what I understand, there is a local TV host who attempted to copycat Simon in one network talent contest, but it only backfired on him. He was just plain nasty at times. And since the contestants are usually adolescents, I wonder if he caused some to later spend their adulthood lying on some shrink's couch.

August 11, 2006 5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.