Wednesday, November 15, 2006

YACON: THE HEALING ROOTCROP


These are not yams or sweet potatoes (kamote). These are yacon. I first found out about this rootcrop from Watson. Neither did he know anything about it until he received an SMS from a friend asking him to get some for him while he was in Baguio. Yacon is claimed to contain medicinal attributes. I was intrigued enough to ask my sister to bring back some from Baguio. I finally got a taste of it the other day. Watson was right; it does taste good.

It can be eaten raw. Its crunchiness resembles that of
sinkamas; however, Yacon is sweet with a slight tinge of a gingerly taste to it. And although sweet, it doesn’t affect one’s sugar level. No wonder it's popular among those with diabetes and those watching their weight. The reason for this is that supposedly, yacon store carbohydrates in the form of insulin and not starch. Its high fiber content makes it effective against constipation as well. And there are those who claim that yacon also purifies the blood.

It costs P30 per kilo at the Baguio market. From what I understand, about ten years ago, one could get them in Metro Manila at the weekend markets of Cubao in Quezon City and Magallanes in Makati only. The price then was about a hundred pesos per kilo. Nonetheless, many people purchased yacon for its healing properties.

And since my 88-year-old mother likes its taste and texture, my sister had arranged for a weekly supply to be delivered to our house for her to munch on while she watches her favorite Korean telenovelas.

posted by Señor Enrique at 9:11 AM


12 Comments:

Blogger wernicke said...

I saw those Yakon in Ongpin when I visited last month. Its color is bright yellow. My friend says it tastes good and has medicinal properties but I didn't try it. In case you want one, I think you need not go to Baguio as it is being sold in front of the parking lot for clients of President's.

November 15, 2006 11:58 AM  

Blogger ipanema said...

Thanks for the info. Definitely, I'll eat this if it has all medicinal values mentioned. At least we won't be popping all those pills in the future, God forbid.

November 15, 2006 12:51 PM  

Blogger RAV Jr said...

Wow, im curious already about this yacon specimen (specimen eh no? hehe)...

"The reason for this is that supposedly, yacon store carbohydrates in the form of insulin and not starch."

I thought insulin is a hormone, therfore a protein...

Dops =)

November 15, 2006 4:18 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Are you sure those weren't the Taiwanese sweet potatoes you saw at Salazar and Ongpin streets near The President Restaurant, Wernicke?

The yacon we got is dark in color like potato, but I buy those bright yellow sweet potatoes at Ongpin for P70 a kilo.





I peel off the skin and then cut the flesh into pieces, and then chill them like you do with the atis, Ipanema. Really delicious.




You're right DOPS. Insulin is a polypeptide hormone that regulates carbohydrate metabolism. But you know what a doctor friend in NYC whispered to me during dinner one time -- the best cure for diabetes is to cut off all sucrose from one's diet because there are foods that turn into sugar once digested like rice. But since a lot of people are addicted to sugar (sucrose), the insulin industry is raking in a lot of money.

November 15, 2006 6:47 PM  

Blogger abet said...

Senor,

So where exactly can i get it?? I got curious about its medicinal properties...hopefully i can get a few if ever i know where to get it. tnx

November 15, 2006 9:23 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really resembles sweet potatoes or yams ... But from your description, I can imagine the taste of Yakon.

(:

November 15, 2006 9:54 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I'm not sure as of now where to get it, but will start asking around. I've a feeling Farmers in Cubao would have these. I'll let you know.

BTW, you have a very interesting site, especially the pics you took from your Bohol vacation! It is one of the many places here in the Philippines that I plan to visit one of these days.

November 16, 2006 7:00 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

They do look like sweet potatoes, Kyels, but the texture is like singkamas.

BTW, another trivia about this rootcrop: it is pest-resistant; therefore, no insecticides are needed to grow them.

November 16, 2006 7:02 AM  

Blogger kiwi said...

greetings, my uncle recently started a business in yacon. if you guys are intreseted for any details just email me at reizen33@yahoo.com. I'm also active here in blogspot. my add is http://kiwi_land.blogspot.com. hoping to hear from you guys soon. thanks

April 03, 2008 2:42 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Many thanks for this information, Kiwi!

April 07, 2008 6:39 AM  

Anonymous lily said...

hi señor enrique! thanks for the info you posted about yacon. i never thought it has medicinal attributes =] i eat yacon after meal most of the time...serves as my dessert.

October 20, 2009 9:07 PM  

Blogger Roselle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 10, 2010 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.