Friday, January 05, 2007

AFTER HIS FATHER

He was supposed to fly to Australia in February to seek a higher paying opportunity in order to provide a more promising future for his family; his first child was born only two months ago.

However, just before last Christmas, much to my astonishment, while enjoying some refreshments as we waited for my new laptop to be installed with the necessary software, he confided that what he really wants to do is the same thing I’m into these days — photography. He added that the planned trip and eventual migration to Australia was not exactly what he wanted.


The only response I had for him was to follow his bliss; that if he really becomes very good at it then money will follow. To further show support, as Christmas gift, I invited him to join me in attending the next photography workshop that will start this weekend. I also loaned him my old Canon T70 because I believe that he should start with a film camera and then just upgrade to a digital later on.

Besides learning all about the mechanics of taking good photographs, he also told me of his desire to take a course on make-up and hairstyling since the niche he truly wants to carve out for himself is glamour portraiture; reminding me of the legendary Bob Razon of Manila’s famous Bob’s Studio who studied make-up artistry in Manila and Los Angeles. “Go for it,” I told him.

A week after we had that talk, he showed me some photos he had been taking with only his cell phone camera. I was impressed. They were quite good and rather evocative (photo at the bottom is one of his). But then again, I really shouldn’t be surprised. His father was the cinema photographer for FPJ’s movies since the ‘80s; inheriting his father’s eye for photography. His paternal grandfather, on the other hand, founded and established the Manila Film Festival. I never met his father; he and my sister had a falling out when the children were quite young.

From what I was told, the father was a handsome man and quite popular with the women. Consequently, my sister, having had enough of his womanizing, packed up and left with the kids in tow. The grandfather I did get a chance to meet when he came to New York on some business trip, but that was before they broke up.


So for my next photography workshop which will be held starts inside the grounds of Fort Santiago in Intramuros, my nephew will attend it with me. As for a good school in Metro Manila for make-up and hairstyling, which I'm completely ignorant of, please advise should you know of any so I can pass it on to him. Thank you!



.

posted by Señor Enrique at 9:11 AM


15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a good uncle Eric. Your nephew knows exactly what he wants to do with his life. That's something few have. I hope he follows his dream.

January 05, 2007 11:41 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, I'm sure your nephew inherited your talent as well... :) Hope the both of you enjoy the weekend workshop.

January 05, 2007 11:57 AM  

Blogger ipanema said...

That was sensible of you to make such advice. It's hard not to follow your heart. One is bound to be unhappy.

Great shots!

January 05, 2007 1:39 PM  

Blogger houseband00 said...

Hi Eric,

Your nephew has, as what M and I would call, the "eye." It has to be nurtured and developed.

I hope he does well.

Hb00

January 05, 2007 3:31 PM  

Blogger vina said...

hey! is that who i think it is? ;-)

señor, i think abbygale arenas, the wife of photographer jun de leon, holds make-up and styling sessions. the problem is, i don't know any contact details, nor the name and location of jun's studio. i don't know if this would be of any help :P

happy new year señor!

January 05, 2007 4:34 PM  

Blogger tet said...

nice day-life photos señor eric! btw, here's my new blog address: http://tetbautista.blogspot.com

regards,
tet

January 05, 2007 4:37 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Toe, I think this is his last ditch effort to try and do what he thinks he'll enjoy doing before he ends up pursuing a career for its monetary rewards alone. But if he does remain true to his dream, then he may very well become very good at what he does.




Hehehe ... thanks, Rhoda, but I think he does have a certain inherent talent in this field that if developed he could very well produce some good works.




That is true, Ipanema. I know enough people who grew old not enjoying one bit wht they do.

Thanks!




Thanks, Hb00, I hope so, too. He surely has something.




Hello Vina! Happy New Year to you, too! Yes, that's him ... you guys have met during the Quiapo tour. Many thanks for the tip, I will look up his name at the source book that the school might have a copy of.




Nice photoblog, Tet! I had already edited my bookmark to reflect your new blog addy.

Great photos!

January 05, 2007 6:12 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! he's a real talent .... magtyuhin nga kayo. I remember one time you told me to pursue photography din ..... one of these days syempre ..kaya lang sinabihan ako ng sis ko ang mahal na hobby daw nito :(

January 05, 2007 6:19 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Pwede naman magsimula sa point & shoot lang Melai at practice lang ng practice. Ang digital SLR naman sa next time na lamang.

January 05, 2007 7:04 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how are u doing this?

i am not feeling so great - just did a walk and chunk - nice eh

that's what hard work does sometimes

January 05, 2007 9:09 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that he already knows what he wants. Sometimes it's hard for young people to choose careers. Would you go for the money or for your passion?

You're a good uncle, tito eric.

January 06, 2007 10:47 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos! They're awesome.

It's good to hear that your friend knows what he wants. Sometimes, people are confused with what they want to do in their lives.

Have fun at the photography workshop! I wish we had those here though, it's hard to find one. Boo!

(:

January 07, 2007 11:03 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hope you're feeling better, Anonymous. Hey, how about jotting down your name, too, if you don't have a blog account. Thanks!




I thought, if he goes on the rest of his life as having followed his bliss, he'd become a much better person, as well as a father, Irene. This is the reason I am supportive of those who strive to remain true to their dreams; not an easy task to do!




There is none where you are, Kyels? Hmmm... maybe we should send a delegate of teachers for a month at a time over there. Serious!

Thanks!

January 08, 2007 9:49 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice photos senor;hirap nman ng sitwasyon ng friend m,,,,lalo n ngaun hirap ng buhay d2 s Pinas,,,,kelangan maging praktikal dahil kung mag-susufer ang family m pwera n lng kng kya nyang pag-sabayin ang love nya s art at mag-provide ng magandang future pra s family nya,,,,n'way at least he has guts pra sundin kng ano tlaga ang gus2 nya,,,unlike me d k magawa ang mga gus2 k....NICE PHOTOS tlaga at Love it....

February 04, 2007 6:17 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thank you, Anonymous. Kung iisipin hindi lang ikaw; marami ding hindi kaya gawing ang mga gusto nila sa buhay dahilan sa mga iba-ibang bagay. Kaya lang, kung talgang kagustuhan ng iyong kalooban at kabutihan din naman, dapat ata ay bigyan din iyon ng panahon kahip eka nila ay parttime lamang.

February 04, 2007 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.