Sunday, February 04, 2007

SATURDAY AT GLORIETTA MALL


























Glorietta was agrind this Saturday as usual, but I'm sure that besides the regular customers who frequent its upscale boutiques, many were there to take advantage of the discounted prices on various cameras and accessories as well. I, for one, was looking for a couple of items; one was a pouch to hold a water bottle for my camera bag belt system, but its entire inventory was sold out over at the Lowepro booth.

But a greater disappointment was when it was announced Xander Angeles wouldn't make it for his scheduled talk on fashion photography for the second evening of Nikon's casual lecture series. As it turned out, Xander had a family emergency matter to attend to that demanded his utmost attention. However, Malu de Guzman promised that she will reschedule his appearance on another date; perhaps, during a special mall lecture tour that they are developing for the summertime.

Incidentally, Malu is the vice president of marketing at Columbia Digital Sales Company, the exclusive Nikon distributor for the Philippine market. Like some regular visitors of this site, Malu also graduated from UST (University of Sto. Tomas).

First met her at the Practical Digital Photography Workshop last year. As we got to know one another, she confided that she was afraid that our classmates might misconstrue her presence as mainly to promote Nikon products. I quipped that we, too, were apprehensive in the beginning, but only because she might think we merely wanted her to give us discounts on anything Nikon. She laughed. Since then we’ve all become friends.


We were expecting her to join us in the Basic Photography Workshop held last month, but the demands of the preparations involved for her company’s participation in PhotoWorld 2007 took most of her time.

During this event, I try to introduce all my photography buddies to Malu; that is, whether they use a Nikon camera or not. However, this afternoon, when Malu handed me some tickets for the PhotoWorld 2007 Saturday night dinner party — An Evening of Art and Music — out of courtesy, I gave them only to those who are Nikon users. I personally didn’t go because I have other things to do that evening. Besides, I’d rather attend this Sunday’s Nikon casual lectures instead.

By the way, I am so sorry that Tito (aka Tutubi/Paetechie) and I kept missing each other today at Glorietta. Hopefully, before the last day of this event, we will have the chance to meet. I would like him to meet Malu as well.

posted by Señor Enrique at 12:48 AM


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully he could make it next time for the talk. There would be other chances.

(:

Lowepro's good hence I guess the reason why the items were all sold out. I was just wondering, is it pricey the Lowerpro camera bags in Pinas? 'Cause it's really, really expensive here in Malaysia.

February 04, 2007 10:52 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went there last Saturday but I wasn't able to attend the Nikon lectures. Sad to hear that Xander Reyes didn't make it. :( Maybe you were there, sayang!

The new DSLRs are great! :)

February 04, 2007 2:56 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always good to have a good teacher around. Learning the tricks won't be too nice in the field of photography, it just not a simple thing. I tried learning it on my own, but I just get confused with lenses, focus and lightning.

February 04, 2007 5:31 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad. A lot of people are expecting him that day (for his FHM fame). I'm sure Nikon would find another time for him. Did you manage to meet up with Tito?

February 04, 2007 9:48 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Kyels! The Lowepro bags come with high prices here in Manila due for the most part to import taxes. They are undoubtedly of high quality and very much sought after. My brother sent me one from New York as Christmas gift and I'm still anxiously waiting for its delivery (balikbayana box).

February 05, 2007 7:59 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I was there last Saturday also, LAR, and had a rare opportunity to have had a one-on-one critique session with a pro as arranged by Fuji. Will post a separate entry on it.

I'm sure you had a fun time there, right?

February 05, 2007 8:04 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

How right you are, Major Tom. Having a teacher is invaluable, no doubt. BTW, for this week and next, I am to completely review the technical aspects of my dSLR -- a "getting to know one's tool" exercise. So much information to absorb.

February 05, 2007 8:08 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Welcome back from your hiatus, Ferdz! Trust you're fully recharged now :)

Yes, I would have loved to hear what Xander planned to impart to us novice; perhaps, someday in the future.

No, haven't yet hooked up with Tito. I've a feeling if it doesn't happen during this event, it will when he puts together a special get-together.

February 05, 2007 8:11 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola Senor!

didn't meet you at the glorietta but i think I saw you at the Fuji booth and even when you left the area if you
re with the kid toting a dslr. We were standing at the landing of the escalator trying to call you but can't reach you :(

anyway, R.O. of ExpectoRANTS saw me there as well as fellow photobuddies (the superkitlens gang).

There's another orchid and landscaping exhibit at the QC city hall grounds on March. Will post details later and maybe then we can meet.

How about a photobloggers' EB/photoshoot? :)

just checked in to my new office as i've said we transferred to a new one in Makati with a very nice view od Makati CBD :)

February 05, 2007 10:34 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

That dSLR-toting little kid is Tynn's son (guy with the long hair).

Sorry to have missed your call. With all the noise going on, unable to hear my incoming txt sound prompt, neither culd I feel the vibration of my cellphone.

"How about a photobloggers' EB / photoshoot?"

This should be fun!

February 05, 2007 8:54 PM  

Blogger Francesca said...

when in manila, we always visit/shop/eat at glorietta. We went to dads saisaki,bahay kainan at third floor, then go to books sales or find a suit that is interesting in some shops around.
We even decided to buy a condo in one ayala stalls there at the fountain, but we didnt pursue the sales, for some reasons that we back out.
Anyway, this post reminds us that despite manila is crowded, makati is like Paris, full of fun, fun fun.
We will be there again when we are in Phils, hopefully this december.
Great shots again senor!

February 07, 2007 5:25 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Glorietta is a very nice and ritzy mall, Francesca. I can imagine you liking it much. A quieter version, but just as tony is Rockwell.

However, I'm not too comfortable driving around Makati. I find its constantly changing traffic schemes confusing.

February 07, 2007 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.