Wednesday, March 21, 2007

THE BRIDE STRIPPED BARE

No lecherous intention here; merely borrowed the title from French artist Marcel Duchamp's painting, The Bride Sripped Bare By Her Bachelors.

Linked with the rhythms of the Dada and Surrealism movements, this French artist became a major influence in anything avant-garde across Europe and America. And he came to mind when preparing my third submission for my Advance Photography Workshop -- Portrait of the Bride.

With the entire class using the same model (Carla,) and same backdrop (Fort Santiago), hunch suggested our submissions were bound to look alike.
I, therefore, opted to present a more unusual image of the bride; avant-garde, if you will.

Also,
with seventeen very talented classmates (some already semi-pros and doing weddings), I knew it would be futile to even think of my capping the much coveted top spot for this assignment. Better just explore my inner vision and have fun with it, thought I.

So what I did was select from the many pictures I had taken of Carla; a particular image that best reflects a concept of a glamor shot. Once found, I converted it to a more simplistic duotone so as to evoke the image of the old Hollywood glamourous era.

The photo of Carla above was the one I submitted; much to my delight, it placed fifth among the total of eighteen pictures submitted for this category.

The judges -- mostly faculty members of the University of the Philippines' Fine Arts Department -- by having given my effort a high ranking, consequently assured me that I am on the right track with my intended purpose in portraiture.


As I had already confided with Rhoda and Amadeo, one of my goals with photography is to someday search for fellow Pinoys who had gone through the quintessential rags to riches story; those despite impoverished and seemingly hopeless conditions, tenaciously persevered to rise above such dismal circumstances. I would like to take their portraits and write a short story about them.

I'm sure their stories, if publicized and shared, will inspire many others to develop a more positive and constructive way of thinking; hence, overcome their enslaving beliefs or self-defeating group mindset. I am among those who believe that the power of photography coupled with convincing prose can be used to inspire and empower.


This should also explain why I plan to attend Dominique James' glamour portraiture workshop this summer. My intention with it is to turn my subjects into glamorous stars that they really are for not succumbing to poverty; that through sheer determination and faith in their inner power, are now leading bountiful lives.

Poverty is a mental disease that can be corrected through empowered way of thinking. And my humble contribution to its eradication is by constantly providing my fellow Pinoys with stunning portraits and short stories of those who fought the battle of poverty and won.


Afterthought: this goal of mine was inspired by my mother’s friend who was widowed with eight young children. However, through perseverance and a positive way of thinking, her vegetable stall in a palengke flourished; enabling her to raise and send all her children to college.



.

Labels: , ,

posted by Señor Enrique at 6:43 AM


20 Comments:

Blogger christine said...

Beautiful, I love the mood of the photo. What you're doing and your ambitions are very admirable, celebrating people's success stories and inspiring others to choose that road as well. :)

March 21, 2007 8:21 AM  

Blogger carlotta1924 said...

very beautiful photo, i love it. congratulations too for placing fifth! =)

March 21, 2007 9:22 AM  

Blogger Sidney said...

Beautiful portrait! I like her look of defiance.

Nice project you have. I hope you can realize this series. I guess you will need to do some serious research to find the "right" people.

March 21, 2007 9:26 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Many thanks, Christine. I'm glad you like my photo of Carla.

As for my ambition, it undoubtedly not new, but I thought the more we participate in promoting constuctive thnking, the more we can overcome some ills of our society.

March 21, 2007 9:56 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Carla! I was very much surprised, though delighted, that this photo reached the fifth spot :)

Thanks much!

March 21, 2007 9:57 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, Sidney!

I'm hoping that if my intended project is meant to be, it would also inspire those touched by it to advise me of folks they know of who would be prime subjects for this endeavor. In short, I'm counting on reader participation to turn it into a sucess.

I'm sure we all know of even a single Pinoy who made it despite major hindrances :)

March 21, 2007 10:00 AM  

Blogger shaz said...

beautiful portrait coupled with a beautiful story. close to perfect.

March 21, 2007 10:55 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thank you, Shaz. Glad you liked it :)

March 21, 2007 3:35 PM  

Blogger Sebastiane said...

Maganda!

Love the story too.

(:

March 21, 2007 7:44 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Maraming salamat, Kyels!

March 21, 2007 7:50 PM  

Blogger NeiLDC said...

SIR ERIC,

ill be in manila.. can i ask your number.. can we meet up!!email me please..

gracias!!

March 21, 2007 8:13 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric. congratulations for being one of the finalist for Phil Blog Awards 2007. You really deserve it!

I really like the portrait here, you made her even more lovely. The background is plain but still turn-out to be beautiful!

March 21, 2007 8:28 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Neil! Sent you email.

Please drop the "sir." Haven't been awarded an appointment by Buckingham Palace insiders to be knighted by the Queen of England ... hehehe.

March 21, 2007 9:38 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

You, too, deserve being one of the finalists along with me, Iskoo! Congratulations as well!

Will you be attending the award ceremony?

March 21, 2007 9:42 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

Congratulations for being one of the Finalists in the Phil Blog Awards 2007.

I am confident that you will be the run-away winner in your category.

Ano pa ba ang hahanapin nila, kumpletos recados ang blog mo kaya nga isa sa mga favorites ko ito at laging binabalikan.

Ang galing ng mga photos mo.

March 22, 2007 2:53 AM  

Blogger Al P. Manlangit said...

Ah, a photographer with a heart! In these times, we need a lot of that...

Your sepia tone was an inspired choice. Reminds of the time when Hollywood movie stars were REAL movie stars.

March 22, 2007 3:33 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thank you, Myepinoy!

Hindi pa din tayo makakasiguro sa ganitong bagay kasi nasasa mga judges pa din.

Dalawang kaibigan ko ay nasa top five din -- si Jeff Vergara at Iskoo. Ang feeling ko panalo na kaming lahat kasi sa dami ng mga nominees kami ang mga natirang lima :)

BTW, madami din akong natutunan kay Jeff at siya din nag-design ng blog ko!

Salamat sa pag-suporta!!!

March 22, 2007 5:13 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

" ... a photographer with a heart!"

I like that very much, Al! Sana nga totoo :)

This shot reminds me of those old Hollywood flick posters of Jane Russell, Dorothy Lamour, et al.

Many thanks, Al!

March 22, 2007 5:16 AM  

Blogger -= dave =- said...

Aha! You have some more photos of Carla. This one appear playful. Perhaps the tone is a reminder of innocent times past.

Hope is exactly what we need this time, Señor E. You have my full support.

March 22, 2007 12:29 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Dave! Sige, I can use all the support I can get to turn this into a smashing success :)

March 22, 2007 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.