Saturday, November 10, 2007

ON STILL LIFE AND MALATE'S STREET CHILDREN


This is one of the test shots I did last weekend for a study on still life imagery of living room stuff. I was one of five photographers asked by a photo magazine to participate in an article in which its editorial group will critique the pictures we have submitted. The goal is to help photography enthusiasts better understand the elements of still life or table top photography. The article is scheduled for its November issue.

Over in
Malate Catholic Church, on the other hand, is an interesting photo exhibit/fund raising event now going on until the 18th of November; proceeds from which will benefit the Remedios Training Center and the street children of Malate.

Here's the background on this endeavor:

The making of this project started when musician/voice talent Wam Molina approached the newly formed group of photo/camera enthusiasts who call themselves RFilipinas and brought up the idea of taking photographs of the Malate street children for a possible photo exhibit to be held at the Malate Catholic Parish to coincide with its fiesta in November 2007.


He had been toying with this idea since January. Being a musician, he had been performing at the Hobbit House and frequenting Penguin for years. He became familiar with the children of Malate. As a photo enthusiast, he had planned to do a series of photographs of the children’s feet. But he decided that he could help the children more if whatever he would do could generate money to contribute to the parish’s many children-focused projects.

The group he approached enthusiastically faced up to the challenge and within a span of more than four months visited Malate alone or in groups to take pictures of the children with their rangefinder cameras loaded with film. Rfilipinas is composed of Jay Javier, a professional photographer and teacher; Nelson Chan, an entrepreneur; Eddie Concepcion, a doctor who practices traditional Chinese acupuncture; Gari Buenavista, an artist; Rain Contreras, an IT professional; Uro Q. Dela Cruz, a TV/Film writer and director; Gabriel David, a journalist; Nor Domingo, a theatre actor. Luis Liwanag, an international photojournalist; his young son Akira Liwanag; Annie Neis, an IT professional based in Colorado who could not join the shoot sent black and white films for the project; Dr.Gerry Sabado, a surgeon; Eric Sales, a photographer; Marc Talampas, an engineer and educator and Andrea Zulueta, a hairdresser. A motley crowd from different walks of life, bound together by their respect for rangefinder cameras and film.

Wam later says, “I am very much overwhelmed with the support I got from my fellow RFilipinas members for this project.

This project has been an eye-opener for everyone, realizing the living conditions of not only the children of Malate but our less fortunate Filipino brothers and sisters in general. It has been a very humbling experience”







*

posted by Señor Enrique at 8:03 AM


16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting project indeed! I like how you arrange those books and the composition is good; my opinion though.

(:

November 10, 2007 10:43 AM  

Blogger Sidney said...

Will try to catch this photo exhibition. Thanks for pointing this out.

Interesting still life. I guess all those items on the table have a connection.

November 10, 2007 3:35 PM  

Blogger  gmirage said...

True, its a dramatic photo, still life photography somehow always have this myterious appeal and portrays antiqueness in some ways.

I have always been a batang Malate, Malate being my surname! hehe

November 10, 2007 3:50 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Senor Enrique, what's the name of the magazine? I'm interested in photography and would like to check out the magazine.

November 10, 2007 5:59 PM  

Blogger Android Eyes said...

My attempt on still life! : ) I hope u like it.

http://jpgmag.com/photos/300104

November 10, 2007 7:27 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Very nice, Romy. I love your use of natural light. I should do that more often, but I'm very much intrigued by controlled lighting as well yet, my inspiration has always been natural lighting as well -- the way nature cast its light on certain landscapes.

I should post some pics on my JPG account.

November 11, 2007 5:39 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

It's i-Mag Photography Magazine, Miranda which is available at all National Bookstores. Its November issue may not be available until mid- or late November, though.

November 11, 2007 5:40 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Well, in that case, G. Mirage, how true, indeed ... hehehe! I have always been fascinated by friends who dabbled in oil or acrylic painting, especially the way they'd compose their still life images. I don't know how to paint but now with a camera, I can practice similar meditative process.

November 11, 2007 5:44 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Very interesting exhibit it is, Sidney! I stopped by yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it much.

The above photo is merely a test shot for the lighting set up. I actually took a couple of days studying the various lighting setups in an interior setting before I actually started shooting the photographs I had submitted. It was a fun project. I'll let you know if any of my pics got selected to be featured in this upcoming tutorial article.

November 11, 2007 5:47 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thank you very much, Kyels. Only problem is, now I prefer to always use a tripod whenever doing such shots. The only time I hand hold a camera is whenever doing outdoor shots under mostly sunny conditions ... hehehe.

November 11, 2007 5:48 AM  

Blogger FilMasons NSW said...

This is the kind of advocacy that warms my heart. I think it is more than a "project" for the RFilipinas's guys... it is more a "labor of love" for these street kids. More power to you guys and those that support your endeavours. We need more of you and less politicians!

Mario

November 11, 2007 9:50 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats nga pala for being chosen as one of the five photographers chosen for this project. Please provide the link or the name of the mag.

Mario

November 11, 2007 10:35 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

It is indeed a fine endeavor by these guys, Mario. I went to see the exhibit and I was impressed. I'm so glad that photography pros and enthusiasts are able to help out these kids.

As for the link, I will share it as soon as available. Thanks!

November 12, 2007 4:04 AM  

Blogger dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Nice photo always there, Eric. Congrats din pala for being chosen as one of the five photographer chosen for the project.
By the way, I also have heard of that photo exhibit and fundraising event at the Malate Church through my friend, Dr. Gerry Sabado who is one of the photographer to display his photographs. I hope that this event purposely for the Remedios Training Center and the street children of Malate will be very successful.

November 12, 2007 10:31 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

If he's indeed a friend of yours, Dodong, then the more reason you should go because they've actually put on a great exhibition. I really enjoyed every photographed that is shown. Very talented group of people they are.

Like you, I also hope that this event turns out to be a big success because it will do so much good :)

November 13, 2007 5:49 AM  

Blogger dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Yes, Eric. Thank you very much. I'll try to spare sometime for the visit :)

November 13, 2007 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.