Sunday, February 10, 2008

GOING VEGGIE AT QUAN YIN CHAY


I've been hearing about this vegetarian restaurant from various people who rave about its tasty dishes and affordable prices.

Quan Yin Chay Vegetarian is located on Masangkay Street. At first I was reluctant to look for it; concerned that it might be on the part of Masangkay north of Recto Avenue which I'm not all that familiar with. But as it turns out, this restaurant is towards where the end of Masangkay on Recto's south side -- at the corner of Salazar Street. And as we all know, Salazar is only a short stretch in which the other end is Ongpin. In other words, Quan Yin Chay Vegetarian is merely a stone's throw away from President's Tea House.

I've made previous attempts since then to have lunch at this restaurant, but unfortunately for me, it was always crowded. But lo and behold! On the day of the beginning of the lunar new year, when I walked in just to check out my luck, there was an empty table. Perhaps, an auspicious omen for me for the Chinese New Year, thought I.

Anyway, a light merienda fare was what I had in mind instead of a hearty lunch since I had the whole afternoon planned for lots of walking around and capturing the street scenes with my camera. Hence, I just ordered four pieces of lumpia Shanghai and a small plate of sweet and sour with soy bean strips (instead of the usual pork or fish).

Everything was fine, except for the lumpia Shanghai -- it was the size of a spring roll. I thought they would be similar to the tiny ones as served at Chow King. And since holding a take out bag while taking some pictures would be too cumbersome, I gobbled all four pieces at the frenetic beat of the drum created by the lion dance troupe outside.

It was, unarguably, a delicious lunch that came with a free pot of hot tea. And best of all, the entire meal only cost me 65 pesos. The only setback was, with such a full stomach, I struggled a bit when I resumed my walk right afterwards.

Nevertheless, now I understand why many friends, including Ang Kuwago, enjoy going to this vegetarian restaurant.




QUAN YIN CHAY VEGETARIAN
821 G. Masangkay Street (corner of Salazar)
Chinatown - Binondo, Manila
Telephone: 243-3356 / 3357


*

posted by Señor Enrique at 7:34 AM


15 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

You should bundle all your writings in a book about Manila. Those are places you don't find in any guidebook.

Being a "street walker" myself I really appreciate that you share your discoveries with your visitors.

February 10, 2008 2:01 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Senor Enrique,

Finally here in Manila and enjoying the nice weather so far. I missed the Chinese New Year entirely because of prior commitment and the horrendous traffic on the way. Anyway, thanks for giving me an incentive with the new post.

paolo

February 10, 2008 4:53 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thank you, Sidney, but I'm sure our other fellow bloggers are more well-versed in publishing a definitive guide book on our local eating places.

You have got to try Quan Yin Chay, but best time to go would be either before or after the lunch rush. This way you can better enjoy your meals.

February 10, 2008 8:06 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Welcome home, Paolo! Glad to know that you're enjoying your visit.

Yes, just browse through some of my previous postings for further ideas on which places to visit :)

Have fun and enjoy the local dishes and foodstuffs :)

February 10, 2008 8:08 PM  

Blogger reyd said...

Masarap nga daw diyan, my wife and daughter eat their when I'm not with them, nakakain lang ako ng take home nila. Akala ko nasa kanto ng Soler ito.
Para kasing hindi ako mabubusog pag walang mamoy, maka at manok. :D
Pag kumain sila diyan, my wife would take home some food from Sincerity or Tasty for my dose of cholesterol.
I'm glad you enjoy those lovely and healthy meals.

And about those baby ribs served here in the states in buffets or dimsum places, you can ask the restaurant in Binondo to especially cook them for you as long as they have ribs available.
Uso kasi sa atin yung nilagang tadyang ng baboy or any buto-buto na may sabaw.

February 11, 2008 4:12 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Pwede ba i-special order yung ribs, Reyd? Wow!

Maybe one of our fellow bloggers could take a picture so I can just show it to the cook.

You're right, they also have ribs chopped into tiny pieces and offered as dim sum. Bu how I long for those long barbequed ribs.

February 11, 2008 7:07 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love going to Chinatown and eating (pigging) out on dumplings and noodles. I haven't tried this yet. Perhaps time to go back to Chinatown... I used to go there once a month an I am based in Los Banos!

February 11, 2008 7:54 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I've only had a chance to taste a couple of its offerings, Gay, but I found them good enough to warrant my return.

Next time ou find yourself back in Manila, please check out this veggie restaurant. And let us know what you think :)

February 11, 2008 8:18 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll do that :) I know the place. I really like the chives in dumplings. I asked my Chinese friend yesterday how they make them and it seems so easy...

February 12, 2008 8:53 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Aha! If ever you blogged about the recipe, please let us know when you've posted it so we can learn how to do it as well :)

Many thanks, Gay!

February 12, 2008 9:26 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we glad you like our foods. we don't know this blog until a customer eat tonight and tell us this.

we have 25% discount on fastfood items on 7.00pm onwards, also short orders available such as pansit canton, misua guisado, bihon guisado for only P60. we use corn oil. :-)

for inquiries pls feel comfortable to ask me. 09208143463.

February 16, 2008 7:38 PM  

Blogger abbie at play said...

thank you so much for this post. it would be great if people looking for vegetarian food could read it.

i'd like to post it on our vegetarian blog, www.veggieboutique.multiply.com

is this okay? please let me know :)

January 13, 2009 2:29 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Sure, Abbie! Just please include credit/link as usual. Thanks!

January 14, 2009 8:41 AM  

Blogger abbie at play said...

oh great thanks! :)

January 14, 2009 6:17 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how great! I was able to discover this blog through www.veggieboutique.multiply.com and I'm so grateful that you have shared this information...I've just started with my vegtarian diet and I'm into the search for nice vegetarian and vegan places in the country. =) I just want to thank and encourage you guys to into your sharing of information. God bless! Let me know if I can also share your blog to my facebook account, with your link included. =)

January 14, 2009 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.