Saturday, August 16, 2008

THE EATERIES ALONG BANAWE


After reading my post, "Manila's Flooding Problems," a fellow blogger emailed to ask for the eateries that I frequent with cousins and friends near the area where I took the video.

I replied that the entire stretch of Banawe -- from Quezon Boulevard to San Francisco del Monte -- is littered with popular franchised fast food restaurants, as well as a myriad of interesting bistros. But what abounds the most are those that serve excellent Chinese dishes, which makes driving all the way down to Binondo superfluous.

On one block alone near corner Retiro (now N.S. Amoranto) -- between Sta. Catalina and Sgt. D.M. Alcaraz -- is a number of eateries that serve great food. There's North Park with its superb Chinese dishes (beef with broccoli flowers is a favorite); Ersao for its pearl milk teas and various fruit shakes; Lord Stow's Bakery for its sumptuous egg custard and fine sandwiches; and the family's favorite, Han Pao Tea House (located at 698 Banawe, telephone 781-0035).

Han Pao offers one of the best bola-bola and asado siopao in Metro Manila, if not in the entire country. I know some people who'd drive all the way over to Banawe just to buy a bunch of Han Pao siopao. The pancit canton is definitely worth checking out, but the Han Pao Noodle Feast, good for four people and costs 215 pesos, is a definite must. Han Pao also offers various rice topping meals and great dimsum.

I will feature the other eateries along Banawe in the future.











* * *

Please note:
I very much appreciate my articles and photos appearing on fellow bloggers' sites, popular broadsheets, and local broadcast news segments, but I would appreciate even more a request for permission first.
Thank you!



*

Labels: ,

posted by Señor Enrique at 7:38 AM


6 Comments:

Blogger ka tony said...

Greetings Eric,

I hope you're doing well. Just an FYI, a lot of our "hometown NYC kababayan" as well us in the west coast are aware of your "Senor Enrique site" ...told you, there's "Senor Enrique mania" going around the US!!!

Went to Flushing & the whole block I was telling you about still going strong, felt like in the Orient with the Asian food fever around. Times Square is so clean, so as 42nd Street, it doesn't look like NCY without the those notorious p_ _ p shows, he, he, he

Sure is Metro Manila as always is surrounded by eateries. You are right, one doesn't have to go to Binondo to taste "Maki" or "Machang" in Maniosa Restaurant or anything one's craving for, it's now convenient in their near by neighborhood. It also proved that Manilenos still have the buying power, in spite of economic & political problems.

Thanks Eric for all the up dates about Manila, our kababayan & our beloved country.

Take care & stay healthy,
ka tony

August 17, 2008 12:59 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Ka Tony,

Glad to know that you're enjoying yourself in the Big Apple. I might have to go back there soon just to catch up on what I've been missing, or should I just brace myself to having possibly become a stranger to my old hometown?

And I bet the Asian food stores and eateries practically have everything that one is hardly honesick of the old country. Incidentally, Woodside, Queens has many Pinoy stores and restaurants last I was there.

Wow! Thank you for promoting Senor Enrique, Ka Tony. Thanks much! By the way, I was told that The Filipino Channel features some articles from my site every now and then :)

Enjoy and be safe, Ka Tony!

August 17, 2008 7:35 AM  

Blogger ka tony said...

Hi Eric,

Yeah! I had fun being with my two kids who live in Manhattan. Went to Woodside as well to say Hi! to some of my Pinoy friends, Mets fans most of them. By the way the Mets are doing well, while the SF Giants, meyod nagkakalat without Barry Bonds.

Being home, medyo strange feeling na parang "tourist" ako sa NYC which was the same feeling when I'm in Manila. Ngayon ang SF parang "home"...very strange!

Yeah, your Senor Enrique was featured at TFC (Pilipino Channel) a friend told me, sayang I missed it!

take care Eric,
ka tony

August 17, 2008 2:45 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaah NYC....closest of me working in Albany was in 1987, turned down the job offer. Was gonna drive to Manhattan two years ago to visit my niece but found out she is now in Dasmarinas living the easy life. When will I see NYC?, one of these as I again procrastinate, hehe....

First pic above is kinda annoying don't you think? I'm talking about the ones parked behind your car. I mean, it's okay if these folks are friendly BUT when you get these "hindi mo ako kilala" types, things can get out of hand I suppose.

Cheers and goodhealth.

August 17, 2008 3:11 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mapuntahan nga eto pag uwi ko ngayong pasko! care to join me, eric?

August 20, 2008 7:56 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

These are good restaurants, Nell, but for a balikbayan, sa Binondo tayo!

August 20, 2008 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.