Friday, August 15, 2008

THE PEDICAB BOYS OF MANILA



Last night's rain was even harder and lasted quite longer than the previous night's when I took the video of The Umbrella Boys of Manila." This extended downpour created flooding in many of Manila's streets.

And if the umbrella boys made money from those caught without a shield from the gushing rain, the pedicab boys made a killing -- charging five pesos to simply ferry each person across the street. Each pedicab driver or padyak boy, from what I was told, made an average of 500 pesos for their service.

The above video was taken immediately after the rainfall. Take note of the brisk business these pedicab boys were doing.




* * *

Please note:
I very much appreciate my articles and photos appearing on fellow bloggers' sites, popular broadsheets, and local broadcast news segments, but I would appreciate even more a request for permission first.
Thank you!



*

Labels:

posted by Señor Enrique at 7:33 PM


6 Comments:

Blogger nutart said...

hahaha! At this age and because of the provincial conditions where I live...I would just opt to always bring a poncho and rubber boots in my backpack! :-)
But of course, Manila living will simply frown on these practicalities---better ride a pedicab---no choice talaga! :-)

August 16, 2008 8:56 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I have one of those poncho raincoats that fold into a little pouch of its own, Bernadette, but I still wouldn't wear it in the city. They might think I'm an explorer or one of those oil field engineers who suddenly finds himself in an urban setting ... hehehe.

I took the pedicab ... lol!

August 16, 2008 6:53 PM  

Blogger Panaderos said...

Nice to know that the Law of Supply and Demand was at work that night. :)

Given the service they were rendering, a lot of people may disagree with my view here, but I think they were entitled to that extra fee. It is harder to maneuver and control that pedicab through flooded streets. If just for that effort, I would be willing to pay them extra.

August 17, 2008 10:10 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people who gave more than five pesos, Panaderos. But what was interesting was that many people made use of the service they offered.

Those 'padyak boys' undoubtedly made some pretty good money that night. And good for them!

August 17, 2008 8:46 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very enterprising boys ! 5 bucks for ferrying people across the street means they would wish the floods not to leave :)

August 18, 2008 8:45 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I bet they do wish for a nightly torrential downpour, BW ... hehehe! Lots of money to be made :)

August 18, 2008 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.