Friday, December 02, 2005

A Filipino in Nicaragua


I discovered this seemingly mid- or late-19th century photo from Cesar’s gallery of historical Philippine photographs. He has an interesting collection, but somehow this one, Filipino Huts, warms my heart the most.

I guess, it reminds me of the barrio where I summered as a little child in Subic, Zambales. But when electricity, television and refrigerator came, the barrio began to lose its mystique. These technological intrusions stripped away the frightful elements imbedded by the older cousins in their nightly tales of aswangs, dwendes, and the headless friar that stalked the barrio’s chapel. The wonder years of our provincial summers got lost in the transition. Such is the downside of technology.

In our emails that ensued, Cesar told me that he was born in Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte, in Mindanao in 1970, but grew up in Missouri. He then moved to San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua in February 2005, from Silver Spring, Maryland.

Aside from his collection of early Philippine photos, he also has a few galleries of his own photographs taken in Nicaragua, the United States and from his other travels. So, I am now adding his name to my list of talented photographers I have met online:


Cesar’s Photo Gallery
www.pbase.com

Noel
Photography by NoelG

Sidney Snoeck
My Sari-Sari Store

Jeff (Jepaperts) Vergara
The Dubai Chronicles

DonDon
Don2g’s photos

Carlos Bravo
CarlosBravo's Photos

Raul Roa
raulroa's photos @ flickr

Enzo
Quiapo Ilalim @ flickr

Joaquin Zamora
joaqy @ flickr

Randy Galang
randyg @ flickr

Proust
proust's photos @ flickr

Stanley Cabigas
estanli.net

Piya Cruz Constantino
spiritchild



I will keep adding on this list as I discover more talents out there. If you know of any I should check out, please let me know.

Muchas gracias, amigos!

Labels:

posted by Señor Enrique at 1:37 PM


5 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

I am afraid I am not really talented but thank you so much for adding me in your list.

Please check the site of this gifted young man.

http://www.estanli.net/

I like his pictures and he has an amzing collection of bugs!

December 02, 2005 6:20 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Goodness, Sidney, I never realized our bugs here in the Philippines can be so wonderful. I left a note at estanli's that the ones I had as a kid were never that colorful. Thanks for the recommendation. I will add his site to the list.

You do have that "eye" Sidney and don't you deny your talent! :)

December 02, 2005 7:52 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Señor Enrique.

Its a great honnor. Remember that you have a good friend here, on the other side of the world, in Monterrey Mexico.

Thank you.

December 09, 2005 12:26 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Te recomiendo este fotografo chileno:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugo_provoste/

echale un ojo..

Carlos Bravo, and as I said...its an honnor.

December 09, 2005 12:31 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Gracias, Carlo!

I visited Hugo's site and he's a wonderful photographer, indeed. Will add him on as well. Will write you an email later on.

Thank you also for visiting!

Ciao!

December 10, 2005 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.