Friday, November 24, 2006

DUET


So I spent the whole of yesterday, Thanksgiving Day in America, busily preparing to submit via email the assignments in my digital photography workshop. Days before, I was grappling how to perform certain configurations with my camera; seriously, they have got to write better manuals. Ever wonder why almost no one bothers reading them?

Anyway, instead of succumbing to frustrations, I put everything aside and decided to go to bed. The next day, after having my breakfast, I took out the camera from its bag — and lo and behold — with a calmer disposition, I was able to figure out how to go about what I needed to do. I also came up with an ingenious method to guide my manual settings.

This experience somehow reminds me of Carl Jung’s Theory of Synchronicity; that supposedly, what happens on the planetary plane also occurs simultaneously in the spiritual. And this may be why Albert Einstein, whenever stumped, would opt to take a nap. And upon waking, voila! He had the answer in mind. The same thing happened with Alan Turing whose work helped made personal computers a reality. While lying on the grass in a meadow and just about to be lulled to sleep, a certain algorithm came to his mind which soon led to his creation of the Turing machine — able to turn thought processes into binary numbers (ones and zeroes). It was a form of artificial intelligence aimed to solve a problem or task, which eventually became one of the key turning points in the history of electronic computing.

Carl Jung went on to argue that the mental state between waking and sleeping is most often the point in which humans are subconsciously able to draw from the spiritual plane. At other times, it would be what some would nowadays refer to as the zone.

Ever notice when you’re tinkering with your car or some mundane household chores when a brilliant solution to a nagging problem suddenly comes into mind? What about the time when you unexpectedly find yourself drawn into buying a certain newspaper or magazine which you never have purchased before only to discover in one of the articles or press release blurbs about a clue that would soon lead you to that elusive solution?

Or how about this: the Copyright Office of the American Library of Congress states that a copyright does not protect an idea; rather, it is the unique expression of that idea that can be protected with a copyright. In other words, if I were to apply for a copyright to protect my idea to turn white metal to gold, that application would be summarily rejected. However, if I were to include in my application how I intend to turn white metal into gold, I would then be issued copyright protection.

I mention this because for any particular idea, the Copyright Office would simultaneously receive an average of three thousand applications pertaining to that very same idea. Now here comes another question: ever notice that Hollywood sometimes churns out two or three films with basically the same theme? Or how about this: you hear a certain song on the radio for the very first time yet it seems so hauntingly familiar.

Actually, it is in the field of music in which Carl Jung’s theory of synchronicity is always evident. When Elton John (after having been released from a drug rehab center) was asked by a reporter why a highly successful artist like him would resort to drugs, he merely retorted, “I was afraid it would stop coming.” This should explain how Mozart was able to write complete operas and symphonies without the aid of a piano or any musical instrument. And this should also explain — when watching those glitzy annual music awards — how many artists would spontaneously thank God when receiving their awards. Now compare this incidence with the other award shows that you watch.

I have met many music enthusiasts in my life — from students to some of the most influential and powerful icons of the American music industry — and what I notice is that the ones on top are often the nicest, while those at the bottom are the nastiest (and sometimes relegated to doing day jobs as music store clerks). Perhaps, the reason why those on top are so nice is because they know that their music that put them up there actually came from a higher source.

Finally, I am going to go on a limb here and claim that God doesn’t need any man-made music to glorify Him. I think what He wants is for us to hear more of the great music from the spiritual plane that some of our artists are able to pick up, record, and make a million bucks from. Because for the most part, what makes this music great is because of only one element — it heals our soul; hence, making our journey on this planetary plane a little lighter, so to speak.



Photo title: Duet
Camera: Nikon D80
Focal length: 62.0mm
Flash: not used
Exposure time: 0.100s (1/10)
Aperture: f/5.3
ISO: 100
Exposure bias: 1.330
WB: auto
Metering mode: matrix


Click photo for larger image

Labels:

posted by Señor Enrique at 8:07 AM


18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way you compose the guitar and flute, really nice.

(:

November 24, 2006 10:17 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photo. It made me smile to see that familiar thin silver instrument. :) Do you play both?

I also find that when I get writer's block, I put aside what I am writing. I'd get up early in the morning and I would start to scribble and the words would just keep flowing on paper.

November 24, 2006 1:09 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations on your new Nikon D80! It's a very good camera and is actually one my choices, pero I have to go with the half-price tag. Hehehe.

Yeah. Ganyan ang gawa ko rin pag me problema talaga na di ma solve, tutulugan ko na lng. And hopefully pagkagising tumama na sa akin yung solution. Hehe.

And lastly I agree with you on Music. Sa akin mas maganda kung composed galing sa soul expression ang music.

November 24, 2006 1:12 PM  

Blogger Peanutbrittle Diaries said...

hello! nice photos! I'm from New York but I also came from Manila originally. I couldn't help but smile when I read your post.

November 24, 2006 1:38 PM  

Blogger RAV Jr said...

I have read a book of the same theme as that, i cant rememebr the title not the author/writer; it talks about a place (astral plane) where the ideal/ideas are there, and when our mind get to that plane, then we are able to copy the idea from the ideal plane... or something like that...

Dops =)

November 24, 2006 2:38 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

The problem I faced in photographing this, Kyels, is that both instruments have no stands; the guitar is way bigger than the flute. So I had to compose the shot in a way to give both instruments equal importance.

Thanks, Kyels!

November 24, 2006 5:32 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

The guitar belongs to a nephew; the flute is mine (it's very old). I once took lessons and now just use it for breathing excercises since I was once a heavy smoker.

That's it, Niceheart. You got it! That's my secret.

November 24, 2006 5:34 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, Ferdz. Now we ought to put a group together and do some shoot :)

Yes ... let go and let God, and before you know it, the solution will come :)

The thing is, Ferdz, most people are able to hear incredible music in their sleep, but would wake up unaware. Some are able to remember and then write out what they heard :)

November 24, 2006 5:37 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hello Peanutbrittle Diaries! Thank you! I haven't been able to post that much about NYC, but I guess we now have you to provide us with the happenings in NY :)

Thanks for stopping by!

November 24, 2006 5:39 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Yes, DOPS ... there are books on that subject. Some call that plane "realm of the angels."

BTW, even Christ knew about it and had included it on the prayer he wrote, "Thy Kingdom come; it will be done on earth as it is in heaven" -- talk about synchronicity, huh?

Ability to access and recall can yield immeasurable rewards. Serious!

If you remember the title of the book, please let me know. Thanks!

November 24, 2006 5:43 PM  

Blogger abet said...

Eric,
hi again...nice duet you got there. Hope to hear it someday too! Salamat sa dalaw !

November 25, 2006 1:12 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Carl Jung's Theory of Synchronicity. It is very helpful and thought-provoking for me. Now... I'll just take my siesta first. :)

November 25, 2006 2:21 PM  

Blogger Iskoo said...

well said, God is the creator of music, we will just be sensitive enough to play His music, we dont have to make our own. We were actually created to worship Him and as we praise Him we are also benefiting to the beauty of His music :)

congrats for your D80. Ganda ng composition mo, ang tingkad ng kulay pula at itim, natural ang kulay!

November 25, 2006 8:25 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Flute and guitar is one of the sweetest combination, Basey!




Something to think about, Toe ... and to sleep on :)





Thanks Iskoo! Naka-chamba sa shot ... hehehe. Yes, there's so much great music from above :)

November 26, 2006 4:33 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot of the guitar and flute! And wow, a D80. Nice camera!

November 26, 2006 11:02 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, Sayote Queen!

November 26, 2006 9:59 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, this is the most profound entry that I have ever read in your blog. It made me really pause and ponder on every word. And I got hit.

"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." I recite the Lord's Prayer everyday and never really understood this line.

But now I know. That our life on earth is in accordance to what God wills it to be> therefore we should not question our sufferings here because up in heaven< the answers are waiting>

You titled this blog very appropriately - "Duet" and your topic is on synchronicity, and the image of guitar and flute goes along fine as well. The flute is my fave musical instrument though I don't know how to play it. :)

Hey, don't you notice, I'm dissecting your blog? Hope you don't mind. Hahaha!

February 06, 2007 11:42 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Yes! You got it, Rhoda -- "thy will be done on earth!"

I don't mind you dissecting my writings; actually, I'm honored that you afford them your precious time. Honest!

Any news about the rock star's concert scedule?

February 06, 2007 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.