Monday, September 10, 2007

TV'S TAKE ON HOLLYWOOD MOVIE MAKING


I don't usually watch television all that much, though whenever my set is on, it's always tuned in to either ANC or CNN; hence my TV acts more like a radio with visuals. However, during the past two weeks or so, I've had the opportunity to catch HBO's Entourage by chance. And guess what? I like it.

Entourage is an Emmy Award-winning original series created by Doug Ellin that chronicles the rise of a young movie star, Vincent Chase, along with his childhood friends from Queens, New York City
as they ingratiate themselves into the in crowd of Hollywood's power culture. The show's premise is loosely based on Mark Wahlberg's experiences as an up-and-coming movie star. As we may remember, Mark Wahlberg started out as a hip-hop artist Marky Mark and has since become one of Hollywood's bankable actors.

Aside for its fine cast and script, I also enjoy Entourage simply for its traces of my two favorite films about Hollywood's intriguing behind-the-scene movie-making culture: 1) Robert Altman's The Player (1992) which stars Tim Robbins as a hotshot film producer with God-like powers to get any movie made, but who gets derailed by a disgruntled screenwriter; and 2) George Huang's vitriolic debut film, Swimming with Sharks (1994) that features a standout performance by Kevin Spacey as a brash studio executive who is remorseless for his contemptuous treatment of his staff. Two well-crafted films, indeed.

My only problem with Entourage is that I have absolutely no idea when it is regularly shown, and this explains the chance process of my seeing its episodes. But for those who have seen it and have become avid followers as well, may I recommend checking out The Player and Swimming with Sharks. I'm quite certain you'll love these movies, too.


*

posted by Señor Enrique at 7:06 AM


8 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

Are you watching TV in the streets nowadays, Eric? ;-)

September 10, 2007 11:11 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be sure to check those films that you've listed.

Whenever my TV is on, it'd either be in BBC, Travel and Living or Hallmark channels.

[:

September 10, 2007 12:10 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Yes, Sidney ... at the used TV store on Avenida Rizal along with a bunch of folks. Not to mention that I enjoy the multiple monitors it offers ... hehehe!

September 10, 2007 12:19 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

The Hallmark Channel show some fine family-oriented movies that my sister, Inday, adores. As for BBC, I guess, I'm more used to the mostly American-accented English news reporting and thus favor CNN; not to mention that I like Anderson Cooper's reportage and Larry King's talk show.

Yes, Kyels, do try to check out those movies I mentioned :)

September 10, 2007 12:56 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Entourage airs Sunday nights at 10 on HBO and then all week long. They just ended the 4th season and will be back for the 5th season June 2008. Seasons 1-3a are on DVD and Season 3b is coming out Oct 07.

Kevin Connolly is absolutely adorable as Eric Murphy and is the best thing about Entourage.

Catch up on Season 1 forward and enjoy.
Entourage is addicting!

September 11, 2007 6:05 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thank you very much for the information! I really appreciate it.

Yes, it's a very entertaining series and I enjoy the cast of characters.

I am seriously thinking of getting the DVD collection :)

September 11, 2007 7:47 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorites shows! I specially like the character of Ari Gold and his assistant Loy! A crafty, unscrupulous and rude boss who has a loyal asian gay assistant.

September 13, 2007 3:36 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Yes, Patrice ... the interaction between Ari Gold and his gay personal assistant, I would say, is always smartly written and hilarious.

You have got to check out "Swimming with Sharks!"

September 13, 2007 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.