Saturday, January 26, 2008

ON EATING FRUITS


Do you feel like burping after enjoying some watermelon? Does your stomach feel bloated after eating some durian? Do you sometimes feel like running to the toilet after eating a banana?

I received an email from our fellow blogger, Aura, the other day which I'd like to share with everyone. It's about the proper way to eat fruits. Truth be told, never thought that such thing exists.

Actually, I found it quite astounding, especially after making more of an effort to include fruits with my regular diet since a few months ago. This email has certainly proved me wrong. It boats, however, that eating fruits correctly can make us look and feel better, enhance our health, and help us maintain
our normal weight.

Here goes:


We all think eating fruits means just buying them; cutting them into pieces; and then just popping them into our mouths. It's not as easy as that, as it turns out. It's Important to know how and when to eat them.

What is the correct way to eat fruits?

* Not after a meal!

* Fruits should be eaten only on an empty stomach!


If you eaten properly, a fruit can play a major role in detoxifying your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.

Fruit is the most important food.

Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so.


In the meantime, the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil.

So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your meals!

You have heard people complaining - every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats up, when I eat banana I feel like running to the toilet. Such things will never happen if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. Fruits tend to mix with the other putrefying foods that produce gas; hence you will bloat!


Incidence of balding and graying hair, nervous outburst, and having dark circles under the eyes can be minimized by eating fruits on an empty stomach.

There is no such thing as some fruits like orange and lemon are acidic because all fruits become alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did a research on this matter.

If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.

As for fruit juices...

When you need to drink fruit juice, drink only fresh fruit juice, not from the cans. Don't even drink juice that has been heated up. Don't eat cooked fruits because you don't get their nutrients at all. You only get to savor its taste.

Cooking destroys all the vitamins.

But eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must allow it to mix with your saliva before swallowing it.

You can go on a 3-day fruit fast to cleanse your body.

Just eat fruits and drink fruit juice throughout the 3 days and you will be surprised when your friends tell you how radiant you look!

Now, for some fruits and their healing effects ...

KIWI: Tiny but mighty

This is a good source of potassium, magnesium, Vitamin E & fiber. Its Vitamin C content is twice that of an orange.


APPLE: An apple a day keeps the doctor away?

Although an apple has a low Vitamin C content, it has antioxidants & flavonoids which enhances the activity of Vitamin C, which lowers the risks of colon cancer, heart attack, and stroke.


STRAWBERRY: Protective fruit

Strawberries have the highest total antioxidant power among major fruits; they protect the body from cancer-causing, blood vessel-clogging free radicals.


ORANGE : Sweetest medicine

Eating 2-4 oranges a day may help keep colds away, prevent and dissolve kidney stones, and
lower cholesterol, as well as lessens the risk of colon cancer.

WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher

Composed of 92% water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, which helps boost

our immune system. They are also a key source of lycopene - the cancer fighting oxidant. Other nutrients found in watermelon are Vitamin C and potassium.

GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top awards for Vitamin C

They are the clear winners for their high Vitamin C content. Guava is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation. Papaya is rich in carotene; this is good for your eyes.

Furthermore, on what we drink ...

Drinking cold water after meal = cancer!

Can you believe this?


For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion.

Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine.

Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

Perhaps, now that I know about these things, I'd get more benefits from the fruits that I love and from the refreshments that I drink. Thanks, Aura, for these valuable information!

* * *

posted by Señor Enrique at 12:55 PM


26 Comments:

Blogger ScroochChronicles said...

Wow, what an eye opener!! Just to add another tip, a wholistic-living fellow once told me we should always eat those stringy things in bananas. They're loaded with anti-cancer agents. Same with grape seeds.

I've been practicing that "warm water" theory for the longest time. In fact, I sometimes only drink warm water. I find that it helps greatly in digestion. You'll find that it's very easy to "go" in the morning :)

January 26, 2008 1:21 PM  

Blogger nutart said...

Thank you both (Eric and Aura) for sharing an important eating habit. My husband and I practice this eating method---first fruits before the main course. Also, plain water with my meals help me a lot! I always order "maligamgam na tubig"(lots of it!) when we dine out. Some waitresses get it right, others give me scaldng hot water hoping I would order tea with it. I have a digestive dysfunction called achalasia so I just had to redo my eating habits. The doctors have always recommended surgery but I feel that a wholistic and responsible diet will just do. And it does!

January 26, 2008 5:50 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry Señor Enrique but I have to rebutt what you have just published as a perpetuation of food fallacies. Absolutely. I know you were carried away by this material that borders the mindset of self proclaimed gurus.

I won't go into details but the above material from Aura defies logic, health education proven through years of research and discoveries, scientific test and documentation.

I know you were carried away by this without much thought, but please, don't take my post as an insult but a constructive effort against fallacies that perpetuate among us.

January 26, 2008 8:23 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

addendum:

I forgot to send the link from common fallacies just like the one from Aura's.

http://www.warriordiet.com/diet/top-ten-diet-fallacies

January 26, 2008 8:29 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I'll have to change my eating habit. I usually eat fruits last and prefer to drink ice cold water or beverage. Will I feel a difference in my body? Maybe I'll lose some weight because after I eat the fruits, I'll probably lose a bit of my apetite for the main course LOL.

January 26, 2008 8:50 PM  

Blogger Panaderos said...

Wow, I'm now very glad that I stopped by your blog before breakfast, Eric. This write-up on the proper way to eat fruits is truly very informative and an eye-opener. Thank you very much for sharing it. Regards.

January 27, 2008 12:10 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Now, let's try these suggestions, Panaderos, and see how we feel in a couple days. What have we to lose, right?

January 27, 2008 6:27 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Come to think of it, BertN, President Clinton was quoted by CNN for attributing his slimmer physique to drinking two glasses of water before each meal.

Like you, I eat my fruits after a meal, but now experimenting with eating them on an empty stomach. Let's see what happens :)

January 27, 2008 6:31 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

"I know you were carried away by this without much thought, but please, don't take my post as an insult but a constructive effort against fallacies that perpetuate among us."

Oh, not at all, Anonymous. I actually welcome opposing views for a more balanced personal edification.

But truth be told, I did experience bloating and a sudden need to go to the toilet after eating fruits (especially with a banana) after a meal. After having read the email, tried eating fruits on an empty stomach and I must admit, feel fine.

But if I may be allowed to say, the diet or nutrition industry has experienced immense growth since the first wave of baby boomers hit their 30s, and it continues to grow. Thing is, the subject of nutrition is so nebulous that no one can really define what's really good and what're really bad.

Check out what Dr. Atkins had done. He practically dispelled many accepted truths.

Personally, I was addicted to aspartame (diet coke) for many years, and after having kicked it (with a 3-day papaya cleansing regimen) and then eliminating rice and bread from my diet, lost twenty pounds to date.

My point is, when it comes to my health, I think I'd rather get excited over what works for me than subscribe to industry press releases funded by major food companies.

January 27, 2008 6:42 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for sharing with us your experiences. I have started to drink only warm liquids with my every meal (hot broth preferably) and relegated cold drinks as stand alone refreshments.

I've also started eating my favorite fruits on an empty stomach, not with or after a meal as I used to. And I've felt much better.

January 27, 2008 6:46 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Sort of reminds me of the way my mother would painstakingly remove those "stringy things" from her oranges and ponkana; whereas, I just peel them off and eat everything minus the seeds, of course :)

I will try to do the same with the banana.

Yes, I, too, have started with drinking only warm water or hot soup with my meals :)

Thanks!

January 27, 2008 6:49 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely an eye opener! It's a load of useful information you have there about when to have fruits. I guess some of us have been practicing eating fruits the wrong way. Haha!

Happy Sunday!

:D

January 27, 2008 11:51 AM  

Blogger Sidney said...

I was going to follow some of those guidelines when I read anonymous' remarks calling them food fallacies.
Too bad he/she don't elaborate.
Those food tips make sense to me but as always when it comes to food there are so many conflicting views that it is difficult to know who is right and who is wrong.
In any case eating fruits and vegetables instead of meat can't be bad...

January 27, 2008 12:39 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a lot of sense in that fruit article thanks senor and aura I'll try it!

January 27, 2008 4:48 PM  

Blogger  gmirage said...

Nice! I have been doing some of the things pointed here...to not eat fruits after a meal (also don't drink tea) it confuses digestion.

Now thanks for the input about each fruit...I like kiwis but never see it that way hehe.

I don't know if this is true, but I have read one should not stand up immediately after eating as this will cause a movement in the intestine that interrupts food processing...better sit down for upto 15 minutes and let the bowels do their work.

January 27, 2008 6:10 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Oh no! Glad you mentioned it, G. Mirgae! I drink tea with my dimsun, more so now since I stopped drinking cold water with my meals.

Goodness!

January 28, 2008 7:19 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

But if there's one fruit I should totally avoid eating with an empty stomach is pineapple, Tina. Had a worst case of the runs one early morning when I did that ... hehehe.

January 28, 2008 7:21 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I agree with you, Sidney. More fresh fruit and vegetables than meat!

I also wish that Anonymous had elaborated more on his opposing views instead of just directing us to another site.

January 28, 2008 7:24 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Had no idea that there's a good and bad way to eating fruits, Kyels.

But hey, what have we to lose if we try to eat them properly, right? :)

January 28, 2008 7:26 AM  

Blogger Ang Kuwago said...

One other fruit to avoid on an empty stomach is the lanzones. Major runs...major. The best, based on experience, is the banana. It seems to cool a stomach all fired up from hunger.

January 28, 2008 10:14 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

senor i wouldn't mind having a run after eating pineaplle on an empty stomach it's a natural laxative best thing for your bowel it cleanse it
thoroughly my theory lol! a health book though suggested that corn and baked beans acts as a broom in the intestine and good to eschew colon
cancer!

January 28, 2008 10:28 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Bananas I love, Kuwago! Although I now eat them before a meal :)

Thanks for the head's up on lanzones!

January 28, 2008 11:41 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

But it happened while I was out of the house ... and I am one of those who tend to be uncomfortable in using other toilets, Tina ... hehehe.

Actually, I once blogged about a nearly disastrous outing:

http://senorenrique.blogspot.com/2007/08/for-thy-short-time-bliss.html

I love steamed corn on the cub ... especially the sweet ones :)

January 28, 2008 11:54 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard somewhere else the same admonition to eat fruits before meals. It's related to maximum absorption, although I don't know if it's via the same mechanism described here.

Anonymous' link never mentioned anything about fruits before meals or cold water after meals. In fact, I am doubtful about the link because it started with saying that breakfast isn't really important.

As for that part about cold water after meals causing cancer, my source says it's false.

January 29, 2008 5:27 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks much for sharing your "source" with us, Dave. I just checked it out. Indeed, we all benefit from this exchange of information :)

January 30, 2008 7:57 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry anonymous, but the link you left listing the top 10 diet fallacies looks as arbitrary in its claims as it gets! It actually defies logic, health education, and years of scientific research itself!

August 10, 2010 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.