Monday, April 10, 2006

A CROSS TO BEAR


As far back as I can remember many of my mother’s friends, relatives and godchildren sought her counsel. They were usually about domestic disputes, marital infidelities, or recalcitrant siblings. For those with a seemingly insoluble dilemma, my mother would often suggest it may be their proverbial cross to bear; a test of faith, so to speak.

There came a time when I would say in jest that technically, Jesus carried his no more than three hours. And that there are people out there who enjoy wallowing in their troubles in perpetuity; thriving in the attention they receive, as well as justifying their martyr-like threshold for suffering as a trade-off for a glorious afterlife. Invariably, my mother would just wave me off as if I should know better.

However, as I got older, I became cognizant of the healing effects of this adage. Just like my mother, I would sometimes find myself consoling my friends with these same words; even adding that carrying such cross builds a stronger spirit and emotional resolve.

Perhaps, then, pain and suffering may be integral parts of the human experience, which lead us to higher realms of spiritual evolvement as we explore the many paths of our life's journey.



Art Credit:
Title: Crucifixion (Hypercubic Body) 1955
Artist: Salvador Dali (1904-1980



*

Labels: , ,

posted by Señor Enrique at 10:16 AM


6 Comments:

Blogger NeiLDC said...

Each of us has the cross to carry everyday in our life, we go experience falling in our steps and we have to move on again and stand and continue the journey of life. I believe that its is part of the life journey. So in that journey, we found people are are willing to help us carry our crosses same as them, as we carry their crosses to have a light load.

Salvador Dali is a Spanish Painter. Famous for the Red lip painting and his mustache, an actor indeed as well. I have visited his work of art from the Contemporary Art Museum of Reina Sofia..

April 10, 2006 11:36 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

blessed easter greetings to you and your family, eric

April 16, 2006 4:03 AM  

Blogger niceheart said...

Happy Easter, Eric.

April 16, 2006 10:38 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very true Señor,...My father always told me that there's no success without sacrifice and in my experience, we seem to always bear something in order that we might gain the things we desire...Belated Happy Easter to you.

April 21, 2006 11:56 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, eric! this is a late comment, sorry about it.

i have to be content that the cross i bear is lighter than the cross that Jesus had, because it bore the many iniquities of man. it is hope for me that He prevailed, and i will, too, with His help.

April 23, 2006 9:34 PM  

Blogger Tabuena arts central said...

Cool blog you got here Senor....Mabalos

April 26, 2006 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.