Saturday, September 09, 2006

A GLORIOUS NATURE SHOW


What more could anyone ask for? A sunset, rain, and whirlwind all together in one glorious viewing for everyone’s delight!

Found myself in Baywalk over in Roxas Boulevard yesterday afternoon, and although it was overcast, decided to park the car anyway and see what kind of sunset awaited everyone. And just a little before six o’clock, this was the sight that greeted us all.




Most of those in Baywalk were simply amazed at the sight. It actually brought smiles on people's faces. At first some were exclaiming, "May buntot!" But only to realize a little later on the tail they were pointing at was, in fact, a dancing dust devil or whirlwind.




Some were so excited by it that they preferred standing while enjoying the show. Surely, others immediately sent SMS text messages to their friends and loved ones about this awesome view. Moments like these make me wish for Sidney's and Jepapert's Nikon dSLR. Someday when ready, I'll definitely get one.




My sister told me that this was shown on the news last night.

It was a fantastic nature show, which I thanked God for having blessed us with that Friday night! What a fabulous way to end a week, I thought.




However, on my way home from Baywalk, the rain that we were watching from afar earlier found its way inland; a great downpour soon descended upon us; awashing the streets of Manila. Soon thereafter, most roads leading home were flooded, leaving a clutter of vehicles carefully negotiating bottlenecked traffic. It took many hours for me to get home, but thank God my beloved jalopy handled the flood quite well and didn’t stall.




Unfortunately, the grand party being set up earlier at the Coconut Palace must have been drenched by this rain which lasted for hours. Hopefully, it was moved inside the palace so a good time was still had by all.




* * *

Please note:
I very much appreciate my articles and photos appearing on fellow bloggers' sites, popular broadsheets, and local broadcast news segments, but I would appreciate even more a request for permission first.
Thank you!



*

Labels: , ,

posted by Señor Enrique at 7:36 AM


21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WWWOOOOOWWW! Amazing! Wish I was there to look at it too! :) Although now, Baywalk is too far for me... :) Thanks for sharing! :)

September 09, 2006 7:55 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Wish you were there too, Camcura. You would have been awe-struck by this incredible nature show :)

September 09, 2006 9:00 AM  

Blogger Sidney said...

Wow! Fantastic. You managed to catch the whirlwind in your pictures. Excellent with the battle between darkness & sunset.
You are lucky. I only got the rain and was caught in traffic as well.;-)

September 09, 2006 9:13 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I came from Carlos' CCP tour, Sidney and thought to myself, "Hmmm ... might as well check out the sunset." It was great, but the flooded streets did scare me.

Thank God for that taxi driver who once gave me impromptu lessons on how to drive on Manila's flooded streets. God bless him!

So, with the good came the bad as in this picture of darkness vs. sunset :)

September 09, 2006 9:31 AM  

Blogger sunkissed said...

How I Wish I Was THERE!!! Hehehe..just copied the title of your blog. I just love sunsets. Sunsets are different everyday, anywhere you go. Sunsets aren't that spectacular here in Edmonton. Hay, miss Pinas.

September 09, 2006 10:24 AM  

Blogger ladybug said...

What an awesome experience. Lucky you were there when that happened. :-) Thanks for sharing it with us. :-)

September 09, 2006 12:52 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A spectacular nature show! I love this.

September 09, 2006 1:01 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That was one fantastic view. From the picture I can see the tail of the whirlwind. Awesome!

(:

September 09, 2006 2:59 PM  

Blogger Senorito<- Ako said...

NatGeo shots !

My parents both belonged to big families too. Why was 8 too many ? Who says so ? Snow white ?!

Btw, D80 is out. And you should be looking at D70S. And a new lens kit is out 18-200 VR (vibration reduction).

September 09, 2006 5:51 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I was actually planning to go more often to Baywalk from now on to take various sunset shots, G. Knotee, and then post them on say, weekends or something.

I think I definitely will now :)




Oh, thank you, Ladybug. It was indeed quite an experience!



Thanks, Niceheart. Glad you like it!



That was what people kept saying, Kyels, "A tail!"

I'm sure you have wonderful cloud formation in Malaysia, too, right?



Thanks, S.A.!

Yes, I'll start educating myself about these dSLRS. 18-to-200 lens? Wow! Is it made by Nikkor, too?

Snow White and the Seven .... hahaha!

September 09, 2006 6:47 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric, also saw it from our office window! We had a clear view since we are at the 26th floor and overlooking the North harbor. It was great sight but it sure would have been better if i had my glasses on :-(

Many staff were describing how the water from the sea was going up. Parang ini-i-straw daw. I could only see the misty white tail below the darker tail (it was very clear at one point) the rest was left to the imagination... hehehe... pero enjoy pa din!

September 09, 2006 7:09 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting my blog. Ileto's criticism of Prof. May's book is part of his book: Filipinos and their Revolution.

September 09, 2006 11:13 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, nature can be so beautiful yet overpowering that a flood can delay your commute by hours.

September 09, 2006 11:32 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shots man.. Just as they always say... how can you beat the Manila sunset vista?

September 10, 2006 2:42 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

From where we were Beth, it looked as if it was raining, but closer, it may have been water is actually being sucked up. This would explain an incident that ocurred once or twice in the States when frogs came with the rain :)


It was some nasty rain that came later on, Aurea. I was literally scared at some points because you hardly say streets/pavement, only water -- much like driving on a river.



Manila Bay sunsets, BW, are indeed awesome, not to mention that we have one of the most incredidle and dramatic cloud formation.

September 10, 2006 6:25 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Many thanks for visiting here Mong :)

BTW, you had just given me an idea, too. An aunt works in UP and I'll ask her if she could borrow a book or two for me (to save money).

I will keep taking cues from your site for interesting titles :)

September 10, 2006 6:27 AM  

Blogger sunkissed said...

looking forward to your next sunset shots eric! will definitely link you up in my blog. ;)

September 10, 2006 6:33 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Likewise, G. Knotte!

September 10, 2006 6:47 AM  

Blogger Iskoo said...

with a very heavy clouds you were still able to take an awesome sunset in baywalk! great capture. nakuha mo pa yung buhawi! sabi nila madalang lang daw yan mamataan sa manila bay, napanood ko rin sa news last friday.

i think a dslr really suits you!

September 10, 2006 7:52 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Made me feel, Iskoo, that this capture was another gift from the universe.

I promised myself to develop in-depth know how of the features of my present digicam before I entertain any further gadget lust ... hahaha!

Thanks!

September 10, 2006 9:59 AM  

Blogger user62949 said...

i just saw this now 4 yrs after...but it still looks amazing....the contrast...the timing....the effect....3d and live

June 30, 2010 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.