Friday, December 01, 2006

BOWL OF PONKAN




















I purposely stayed in the whole day today. I was afraid to go out thinking I might get stuck in some flood while driving around the city due to the impending super typhoon. However, no rain ever developed until the late evening, but it wasn’t at all as ferocious as predicted; at least, not yet. But then again it supposedly had changed its course away from the metropolitan area. I am praying that it would also veer away altogether from our southern provinces as well. The folks in those areas are barely getting over the havoc that Milenyo unleashed. And the last thing they need is another one, especially now that the Christmas holiday isn’t too far off.

So I spent the whole day practicing the various manual settings of my digital SLR camera. I used whatever I could find as props; among which was this bunch of what I initially thought were dalandan. At first glance I thought, they had only another day or two before they get tossed into the garbage; that is, if no one ate them. However, my mother told me that these are of the ponkan variety from Taiwan. And that they are fresh, though they look old. And unlike the dalandan, the skin of this particular ponkan variety is not completely green all around; it has pale yellow in some parts which makes it appear old.


So I tried one. The skin is surprisingly thin and quite easy to peel off; however, although plump and juicy, it just isn’t as sweet as those Navel oranges from Davao or Florida. And speaking of Davao, by the way, its sweet grapefruit is now plentiful in Manila.

Anyway, for the picture above, I simply placed the bowl on the floor so it could be illuminated by the nearby table lamp. It was all about artificial lighting today, but still no flash unit (I'm done with assignments using natural daylight only). Nonetheless, it was a lot of work; I took many shots using a combination of desk and table lamps with all sorts of items as props.


In the end, it's this photograph of a large bowl with ponkan in it which turned out to be my favorite. I guess it's because it conveys a certain provincial feeling; reflecting my thoughts and prayers for those folks living in the provinces within the peripheral path of the incoming typhoon.

posted by Señor Enrique at 12:44 AM


16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers for everyone ... Ingat Eric.

I love the picture, especially the shadows of the ponkan(s).

(:

December 01, 2006 3:12 AM  

Blogger TOW Blog said...

lovely pic, looks like a painting!

stay safe and dry!

December 01, 2006 3:16 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I think the typhoon has passed without incurring as much damage as with Milenyo, Kyels. Thank God! It's just overcast in Manila this morning and no more rain :)

December 01, 2006 7:06 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, Minotte! Not too much rain in Manila this time. You seem to be doing all right with your photography as well :)

December 01, 2006 7:08 AM  

Blogger RAV Jr said...

para yatang nakalagay sa frying pan, hehehe...joke =D


Dops

December 01, 2006 7:15 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Lol!

That is actually a huge antique wooden bowl from Vigan, DOPS -- about 2 1/2 feet in diameter. It was a gift from my cousin's wife :)

December 01, 2006 8:03 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

para nga syang painting. =) aren't those ponkans the cheap delicious and seedless ones? nakalimutan ko nga lang yung tatak. stay safe today. =)

December 01, 2006 9:05 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Carla! My plan is to go to Gateway Mall today and check out some books at Fully Booked. Although it is raining, the howling wind seems daunting. But I still want to go :)

Enjoy your weekend!

December 01, 2006 9:11 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Oooops ... I meant: "although it is not raining..."

BTW, I still prefer the regular larger dalandan :)

December 01, 2006 9:13 AM  

Blogger Sidney said...

We are lucky. The typhoon is not as bad as expected. Alas, the Bicol region is again badly affected!
Wish you a good book hunt today!

December 01, 2006 11:04 AM  

Blogger Senorito<- Ako said...

There's 3 type of RGB gamut found in your camera. SRGB1, SRGB3 and Adobe RGB.
the SRGB3 is specific for capturing more shade of greens. Adobe has the widest gamut of the 3. Read about NEF or Nikon's RAW it captures 1/2-1 step more exposure than the ones I mention above..

That's a MEAN MEAN Machine you got there. :) Fire away !

My brain functions as a repository for lotsa useless stuff believe me. :)

December 01, 2006 11:38 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the tone of this picture, very suttle light but very effective. The rounded texture of the floor also added to the effect! Great job! Nasusulit mo na yung D80 mo. :D

My province, Bicol was hit hard. I hope they do well there.

December 01, 2006 8:50 PM  

Blogger Iskoo said...

ok yan pinapa praktisan mo, magandang subject na masarap pa kainin :)

ok composition at tone, mukhang gamay mo na ang bago mong cam :)

December 02, 2006 5:43 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could have my own SLR camera. hehe

Ponkans are good for preventing flu and colds during this season. Dalandans however are more potent in terms of Vitamin C content.

Truly tragic Reming's devastation to the south. I guess some Lasallian volunteers would be spending our Christmas break in Bicol to help out in the relief operations.

December 03, 2006 1:23 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I just posted an entry about raising a thousand stuffed teddy bears for the kids of Bicol, Sidney.

Too many things to do this weekend ... unable to go for my book hunt in Gateway Mall. It also rained this afternoon so I cancelled my trip to Intramuros.




Hello Senorito Ako! Thanks for your suggestion, I had now calibrated my camera for the Adobe RGB :)

RAW will be in the very near future!

I really suspect that you're more than a photography hobbyist :)

Thanks!

December 03, 2006 7:43 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Many thanks, Ferdz and Iskoo!

Nakaka-chamba na ako kahit paunti-unti!!! It's has been a great challenge for me, indeed :)



Yes, Jhay, Bicol can use all the help it can get. Are you going with your fellow La Sallians?

December 03, 2006 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.