Monday, January 28, 2008

ZHANGZHOU WARE: FREE TALK & TOUR


Zhangzhou ware was produced amidst a dramatic era in China: the 200-year trade ban of the Ming Dynasty was lifted, and European colonial powers looking for spices discovered the flourishing trade. As China's largest ceramic kilns catered to the new, affluent European market, smaller kilns—like those from the Zhangzhou district of Fujian province—supplemented the demand of loyal Asian customers.

Rita Tan is an independent researcher on Chinese trade wares ranging from the 10th to 17th centuries. She is currently curating the Villanueva collection of Chinese and Southeast Asian trade wares at the Ayala Museum, and the Ceramic Gallery of Kaisa Heritage Center.

Join Rita Tan, guest curator and President of The Oriental Ceramic Society of the Philippines, for a talk on the circumstances behind the creation of this sought-after ceramic. The unique traits of Zhangzhou ware will also be explored. Following the talk, Rita Tan will lead a special guided tour of the exhibit Zhangzhou Ware Found in the Philippines.

Zhangzhou Ware Talk & Tour
At the Cone Room - - Yuchengco Museum
February 9, Saturday, 10:30 a.m.


Free with museum admission.

For more details, call Elma Abrina at 889-1234.


* * *
Yuchengco Museum
RCBC Plaza, Corner Ayala & Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenues
Makati City, Philippines 1200
Tel: (632) 889-1234
E-mail: info@yuchengcomuseum.org


*

posted by Señor Enrique at 8:52 AM


8 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Thanks for the post, señor enrique! But if I ask how you've heard about our upcoming talk, and you've gotten the photo above? Thanks.

January 28, 2008 10:27 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Connections, Carla. Connections ... hehehe.

But seriously, isn't the Kaisa Heritage Center part of the Tsinoy House? I took this photo from there when I was with Ivan Mandy one afternoon.

Check out my post on it:

http://senorenrique.blogspot.com/2007/06/inside-bahay-tsinoy.html

Heard about this upcoming free talk and tour through the Museum Foundation in which I'm a member.

So, you're part of this talk? Would I be allowed to take pics of the tour so I can share with our fellow bloggers from abroad?

Thanks, Carla!

January 28, 2008 12:34 PM  

Blogger Sidney said...

Eric, be careful not to break a plate or vase. I heard those things are priced a fortune!

January 28, 2008 2:40 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

And since these white and blue porcelains were traded through Manila, many Spaniards made a fortune when the Europeans went crazy over these items.

The National Museum's Treasure of San Diego Exhibit has some of these as well, I believe.

January 28, 2008 3:31 PM  

Blogger NOYPETES said...

In high school, many,many years ago, I brought home my girlfriend during one of those early release days from class to impress her with my cooking skills. I served her "Sinigang na Baboy" on a bowl from one of my mom's China collections(handed down from my paternal great grandfather)I never heard the end of it when my mom found out about my ignorance. What can I say, I was 17 and in love with a Eurasian beauty!!

January 29, 2008 12:56 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I think such priceless heirlooms are meant to be merely displayed, Pete, not for actual use ... hehehe. But nonetheless, would love to hear the rest of this love affair with the Eurasian beauty :)

One of the craziest things I had done for a girl back in NYC was buying her a pair of Manolo Blahaniks. What we do for love sometimes.

January 29, 2008 6:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I know with ancient China Ceramics is that you can identify what dynasty they come from, just by examining their designs. Not sure, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

January 29, 2008 5:20 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

That's intersting, Rhoda. I do plan to attend this talk and tour, and hopefully would come out of it knowing more about this fascinating subject.

January 30, 2008 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.