Monday, May 21, 2007

JAYVEE'S COSPLAY PHOTO SHOOT


Firstly, Jayvee is Jayvee Fernandez, an active player in the media and publishing fields; serving as contributing editor for Mobile Philippines and other HIP (Hinge-Inquirer Publications) magazines. He's also a consultant in the realm of new media trends in the Philippines, specifically about professional blogging, new media and viral marketing. He was one of the main propagators of the Philippine Blog Awards with Abe Olandes.

Cosplay, on the other hand, according to Wikipedia, is "a portmanteau of the English words "costume" and "play", is a Japanese subculture centered on dressing as characters from manga, anime, tokusatsu, and video games, and, less commonly, Japanese live action television shows, fantasy movies, or Japanese pop music bands. However, in some circles, "cosplay" has been expanded to mean simply wearing a costume."

And a few days ago, Jayvee announced a cosplay photo shoot at the Intramuros Golf Club; leaving an “open invitation” for online friends and acquaintances to take part in a very informal shoot on a Sunday afternoon. He was expecting 5 or 6 friends to come and join him on it; much to his delight, about fifty people showed up.

The lesson Jayvee wants us to learn here: Never underestimate the power of viral marketing within the blogging community.

As for cosplay, I've a feeling the very first one I attended was during the '70s in New York City's Greenwich Village. It was the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show in which a large segment of the young people in the audience came dressed up as characters of the movie. They occupied the front section of the orchestra and staged their own version of certain sequences of the film as it was projected on the screen. Their special effects buddies were mostly situated in the front row of the balcony level equipped with the props they threw at the audience.

It was an incredible phenomenon that garnered a huge cult following; eventually spreading throughout the entire United States. A box office disaster when first released on account of the critics having lambasted it as mere trash; however, America's youth culture thought otherwise. Through this nationwide midnight cosplay phenomenon on Friday and Saturday nights that went on for many years, the producers of
Rocky Horror Picture Show ultimately raked in millions of dollars in profits. It was, indeed, an outcome beyond their wildest expectations. I am truly surprised that Malcolm Gladwell never cited this social epidemic in his book, "The Tipping Point."

Yesterday at the cosplay photo shoot, I was having such a wonderful time I felt reluctant to leave; however, other family commitments dictated I must. I have no idea exactly what time they all disbanded, but based on my final glance, it might have been much later than expected, because as I was leaving everyone was still having a great time socializing and photographing the tireless models.

Thank you, Jayvee, for a great and unique photo shoot, as well as for the many talented and wonderful people I met whom I trust will meet again in another of your upcoming events in the very near future.





The main model, Jerry Polence



A happy and handsome Jayvee with Orlando C. Ninon (to his right), an award-winning photographer who placed second in the recent Manila Bulletin's and Fuji Film's Red & Green Photo Challenge.



Jayvee and Juned with some of his cameras.

.

posted by Señor Enrique at 7:04 AM


29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice capture Eric.

Ang bilis mo, I'm gonna post mine tomorrow. Nice set.

Nice meeting you also.

May 21, 2007 8:51 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hello Ricky!

My goodness, didn't even realize you are the author of the site, Masterbetong.net! I have been checking out your site since I started blogging. Didn't know you had returned to Manila!

I'm confident we'll get to see each other again soon :)

May 21, 2007 9:47 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Nice set!

[:

May 21, 2007 9:55 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, Kyels!

I've a feeling this particular cosplay has its own following in Malaysia also. Am I right?

May 21, 2007 9:58 AM  

Blogger TOW Blog said...

(re-send of a message)

hey eric, we saw your blog in TFC. congrats, galing!

i have started my candlelight books:

www.candlelightbooks.blogspot.com

should you come across needy elementary schools in manils, let me know or send me a pic. . .

:)

May 21, 2007 11:30 AM  

Blogger Sidney said...

"I was having such a wonderful time I felt reluctant to leave..."

No wonder with such models! ;-)

May 21, 2007 11:33 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

What a worthwhile endeavor, Minotte! I had just visited your Candlelight Books site, and I plan to help you promote it by posting an entry on it as well.

Rey Villegas ( http://reybronx.blogspot.com/ ) who lives and works in Singapore was the first to tell me that he saw The Filipino Channel feature of my blog. Soon thereafter, I started receiving email from some Pinoy friends and relatives in NYC to inform me about it as well.

Many thanks, Minotte! How exciting!

May 21, 2007 11:50 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I have to drag you with me then next time, Sidney, that they have another of this event :)

May 21, 2007 11:53 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter wanted to go but at the last minute got lazy because of the heat. Too bad, I wanted to meet you .

May 21, 2007 1:46 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for coming^_^ It was really an honor to meet you, learned a lot too.^_^

Venue is at Club Intramuros Golf Course, courtesy of the Philippine Tourism Authority.

May 21, 2007 3:17 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow na feature na pala kayo sa TFC... bakit po kaya hindi man lang sila nag pasabi na they will feature your blog?

Galeng po ng mga cameras, models and concepts...nakaka encourage maging photographer :)wink

May 21, 2007 4:01 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I was expecting that you were going to be there, Noemi. I was looking forward to meeting you.

We had a great time despite the heat, but there were many shaded areas that provided us shelter so we were all right. Your daughter would've loved it.

Next time, right ? :)

May 21, 2007 5:03 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Jerry!

Many thanks for being our main model yesterday. You and the others really made it look easy being under the sun and all. Great job you all did!

It was great meeting you and Mike. Hopefully soon I will get to meet the others from your cosplay group for another photo shoot, ok?

May 21, 2007 5:06 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Daisy!

When you're ready, let me know and I'll be dragging you with me to these photo shoots. They're lots of fun and you'll meet talented people willing to share their expertise with you.

Actually, you can even bring along your entire family and friends with you and make a picnic out of it in this kind of friendlly photo get-togethers as we had yesterday.

By the way, one of the guys in the picture with Jayvee has a couple of point & shoot and toy cameras that he used. So, don't ever think you only have to have one of those high end dSLRs :)

May 21, 2007 5:09 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have an excellent photo blog here. it was nice shooting with you guys! thanks! hehe.

May 21, 2007 5:50 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, JC! I just checked out your deviant art site, too -- very artsy! I bookmarked it!

Are you at Saint Benilde? Do you know Allan Razzo?

It was fun shooting with you all yesterday. I really had a wonderful time.

May 21, 2007 7:23 PM  

Blogger -= dave =- said...

Ooh cosplay! I could only identify Chi of the animé Chobits. Tsk, my animé expertise is fading. And should the ears of the bunny suit really look like that? It seems too furry to me.

May 22, 2007 2:10 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must have been fun watching and shooting those models. And how exciting to be featured on TFC huh? :)

May 22, 2007 2:34 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

I must admit, Dave, that I hardly know anything about this Japanese-inspired cosplay. All I know is it is very popular worldwide.

Perhaps, I should invite you when another but bigger cosplay photo shoot comes up in the near future. You can help me identify the characters :)

May 22, 2007 8:01 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

We had fun in this photo shoot, Irene. I bet your boys will be able to identify these characters.

I haven't seen the TFC feature at all :(

May 22, 2007 8:02 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This looks like a really fun shoot. Sana maulit. hehe

May 22, 2007 9:35 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Mauulit ito for sure, Ferdz! And with more players to photograph. I will let you all know as soon as I get the date.

May 22, 2007 9:40 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Sir!^_^ Another one with you will be great!

May 22, 2007 1:04 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Great, Jerry! We'll see you again soon then :)

May 22, 2007 6:42 PM  

Blogger rain contreras said...

Ola senyor!

Eto na ang photoset ko sa Flickr, kung interesado kayong makita ang lumabas mula sa aking hand-cranked, medium-format twin-lens reflex Shanghainese camera.

May 22, 2007 7:52 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Rain! Just checked your Flickr site! Now, I understand why you enjoy that twin-lens reflex camera. It surely takes wonderful photographs! Left a comment on one of your posted pics (as MetroManilan).

It was a pleasure meeting you and hope to get together again with the other guys in another fun shoot!

May 23, 2007 6:46 AM  

Blogger markku said...

Sir Eric, it was really nice shooting with you. Next time ulit ha. =)

May 28, 2007 11:14 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Hi Markku!

When is the next shoot? Hehehe!

May 29, 2007 6:18 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been reviewing post and shoots in the net when i got the chance to view your site.. given a chance... i wanted to be one of your models by the way i am zara ...here is my account in friendster so that you'll have an idea of how i look like i wanted to do shoots and costplays please..thank you noonesauthority@yahoo.com.ph

April 30, 2009 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.