Monday, June 02, 2008

LITTLE MUNING AND HIS GIANT SHADOW


Maya Angelou was born Marguerite Ann Johnson on April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, she is an African-American poet, memoirist, actress, and civil rights activist. She was an unwed mother. To support her young son, she danced in night clubs, conducted cable cars, cooked at a Creole cafe, removed paint at a body shop, and was a madam and prostitute at a San Diego brothel.

She authored I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and was given a lifetime appointment in 1981 as Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.


Angelou once claimed that every time she started to write a new book, a sense of fear would engulf her. Although she had written eleven books, she would say, “Oh, they’re going to find out now. I’ve run a game on everybody and they’re going to find me out.” She overcame her fears by just doing what she had to do.

She may be one perceived as modest. However, according to a Psychology Today article, attributing one's drawerful of trophies to mistakes, luck, and deception may be taken in as a sign of Impostor Syndrome — the conviction that others grossly overestimate one's abilities.

"The 'impostor' feels she doesn't deserve her accomplishments and fears that eventually she'll be unmasked as a fraud," claims the article.


Some psychologists and educators call it 'intellectual self-doubt.'

Valerie Young, an expert on the condition, identifies several at-risk groups: "the first few people in a field, such as women in science; first-generation professionals; people who work alone; those in creative fields; children of high-achieving parents; and perfectionists. For many, the feelings result from expectations of failure from parents or others."

Be that as it may, I am one of those, especially in my creative work, believe that ideas do not come from me but merely through me. Once I mentioned this to a couple of photography buddies, but they seemed unsure how to react to my claim.

Anyway, I attribute it to what Carl Jung once hypothesized as the Theory of Synchronicity which I had once blogged about in my entry,
Duet.




* * *


Please note:
I very much appreciate my articles and photos appearing on fellow bloggers' sites, popular broadsheets, and local broadcast news segments, but I would appreciate even more a request for permission first.
Thank you!




*

posted by Señor Enrique at 7:43 AM


14 Comments:

Blogger nutart said...

AMEN to Duet! Handel composed his "Messiah" in about a month (I recall) and he tearfully said daw he was constantly under a vision. I read some stories about him and he enjoyed Life and would have a sense of humor that is not often attributed to Masters.

I have had very talented students and when I praise them, the truely talented ones (to my "kilatis") would always say "hiram lang ho ito."

I understand the so-called fear that Angelou has. Once, I was handling an art workshop for children in Manila. Siyempre, after the workshop, I had the children proudly tack their works on a huge empty wall. This was held in a posh museum also in Manila. I overheard one of the children enthusiastically called to her nanay to where her work was. The mother looked at it briefly and then pinched her daughter to say that they have to leave NOW! I have seen so many parents like this mother---they allow their children to attend art classes but they expect something to show perhaps like a Lea Salonga or other in them. Walang nurturing sense...kaya andaming nueroses ang mga creative people.

Thank you once more, Eric, for explaining synchronicity so clear and fluently.

June 02, 2008 9:26 AM  

Blogger escape said...

Be that as it may, I am one of those, especially in my creative work, believe that ideas do not come from me but merely through me.
>>> i agree with this.

nice capture senor and i like how you connected this photo to your topic. you are really good in this.

June 02, 2008 11:33 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photo! :)

June 02, 2008 11:39 AM  

Blogger JayAshKal said...

Quite true, especially in photography. in a sense you didn't "created" the cat and it's shadow, you "merely" recorded the event at the precise time and angle. You have shared what you saw thru this wonderful picture. You have shared a bit of yourself to us! No amount of words can express that. Thank you.

June 02, 2008 12:44 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

It's truly difficult however tempting even for the talented to believe too much in their "gift," for fear that the dreaded "mental block" may come knocking sooner ... hehehe.

My pleasure, Berndatte!

June 02, 2008 1:19 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thank you very much, donG!

June 02, 2008 1:20 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, Peter!

June 02, 2008 1:25 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

That's right, Mario! Because in essence, and this is my belief, we hone our skills to become "prepared observers." The universe, on the other hand, ushers in opportunities or ideas or scenes that if alert, we could grab and benefit from immensely; hence, we become co-creators.

I should also add, that these opportunities may arrive while we sleep :)

Thanks, too, Mario!

June 02, 2008 1:32 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do remember that post ... [:

For me, I thoroughly get inspired for photography when I still have that "something" within me. I don't know what it is but gradually, it will inspire me in many ways.

Off topic; if you need the password for my posts do e-mail me, yeah?!

June 02, 2008 1:45 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Whenever relatives would praise my sister for her intelligence, she would always turn aloof and say that her classmate, a cousin, etc. is more intelligent. We attributed it to her shyness. But yes, 'intellectual self-doubt' seems to be the correct way to call her attitude. Kids who grew up being criticized all the time would possibly develop this syndrome.

And in some way, I share my sister's self-doubt, di nga lang halata kasi mas makapal ako! Haha I love your "Duet" blog---very enlightening!:)

June 02, 2008 6:41 PM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

There seems to be a growing trend in private blogs, Kyels. Now, you're among them. Will email you :)

That "something" I'd call an inner desire or "longing."

Thanks, Kyels!

June 03, 2008 6:30 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Thanks, Luna, glad you enjoyed that piece :)

While growing up, the sister a year older wasn't much too keen on studying; hence, inconsistent with ideal grades. This made my parents praise me in a very quiet way, or not too often so as not to affect her self-esteem, kaya sanay ako kahit walang puri-puri ... hehehe!

June 03, 2008 6:33 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a way, having self doubt is good. It keeps one's feet on the ground amid praises and accolades, di ba. Minsan kasi, kung inilalagay sa ulo ang mga papuri, nagiging mayabang ang isang tao. :)

June 03, 2008 8:52 AM  

Blogger Señor Enrique said...

Or as they say, Rhoda, "don't believe the hype!" hehehe!

But ideally, one ought to keep focused and be the best he/she could be, and use the accolades as leverage for higher pay :)

June 03, 2008 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life in Manila as observed by a former New Yorker who with a laptop and camera has reinvented himself as a storyteller. Winner of the PHILIPPINE BLOG AWARDS: Best Photo Blog in 2007 and three Best Single Post awards in 2008.

 
 

About Me

Name: Señor Enrique
Location: Manila, Philippines

View my complete profile

Links


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Flickr Badge. Make your own badge here.
 
 
Señor Enrique Home
Designed by The Dubai Chronicles.
All rights and lefts reserved.